1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

"Ring Nut" Broken

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by rexeven, Jun 9, 2009.

1. rexeven

rexeven New Member

I knew it would happen....well I knew it was possible. I cut my mufflers off and had someone weld straight pipes in their place. Sounds AWESOME! Runs AWESOME!

I didn't have any brackets though, as the frame to muffler brackets are just that. And I don't have the mufflers anymore.

So when I got to work today I look down and the Finned Ring that holds the header to the engine is cracked in two. Luckily just one.

So DO NOT let the headers support the whole exhaust system even if it is just two straight pipes.

I really didn't think it would be too much since I just rode it like that twice! It's just too damn nice outside to not ride! Now I have to wait for parts from chacal.

Does anybody know if JB Weld would stand up to the heat temporarily? Surprisingly it wasn't leaking without the ring on!

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

In my experience, JB Weld will soften at high temps. I woudn't expect it to hold up to 400 degrees plus at the exhaust port.

Can't the guy that welded your pipes weld that ring for you?

3. rexeven

rexeven New Member

Its a long story but no I can't get it welded easily. I've already ordered new stuff, just don't want to park the bike! It's so NICE outside!

4. bill

bill Active Member

Well you could - Rig a wire support to hold your pipes to prevent further damage. JB weld it and ride for the couple of days till you get your parts. Still taking a chance on your other rings but ....