1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rubber donuts

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Plumper, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Plumper

Plumper Member

So I ordered 2 new bolts for my valve cover I managed to dig the broken piece of the bolt out without wrecking the threads, I did have helicoils on hand in case, I pulled the broken bolt back through the cover part and when I was pushing the new bolt through the donut(which by the way are "seal all" onto the cover) a little bit of the tapered end came through to the big top part of the donut is still in there, anyway is there any auto parts store or bike shop that sells thoses were I can get them quickly? Or are they a Yamaha special donut,

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yamaha ebay or chacal from www.xj4ever.com he sells a little cone to install the donuts with out problems

chacal will have them to you very quickly

3. Plumper

Plumper Member

Ok thanx

4. Plumper

Plumper Member

Is there a specific way to tighten the valve cover back on? Like middle first then outter bolts, or tighten them all gradually, I know this time I'm not using a torque wrench I'm just gonna use a Allen key till they stop moving

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

just like the head inside 4 then out side 4 not all at once. snug snugger then last time tighten evenly

6. Plumper

Plumper Member

So I was gonna wipe down the gasket before I reinstall with some rtv sealer, I have jigaloo, wd40, carb cleaner, and starting fluid which one would work best to degrease the gasket so the other stuff sticks better. In case you haven't noticed yes I'm a new diy bike mechanic hahaha

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You don't need (and should not use) RTV on the valve cover gasket, except just a tiny bit at the half-moons as insurance.

Gasket reinstallation covered here: Bigfitz's AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics - parts I & II

8. Plumper

Plumper Member

O ok, I'll just use some there, that was the only place it was leaking

9. Plumper

Plumper Member

Why is it a bad idea to use gasket sealer on the head?

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i don't know, i do. put the rtv on the valve cover and use it to glue the gasket to the valve cover. then smear oil on the head to let the gasket smash out

11. Plumper

Plumper Member

I've read mixed reviews on it but I've never seen a reason just that you don't need it, this is my first bike ever after years of waiting and I've spent more time tearing it apart and learning how to make it run better then I have riding it, I am enjoying learning how stuff works and being able to fix it but I'd rather ride it, I just don't want it to leak I finally fixed the idel problem then I broke that damn bolt and had to take it apart again, anyway thanx for the help guys

12. k-moe

It's not a good idea simply because it can be a huge hassle to remove later.

cgutz likes this.
  13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if there were a way to make my gasket stay where i wanted it to, i wouldn't have used anything. that spray gasket tack stuff would have been nice but i didn't have any.
    it's been off several times with no leaks.
    they used to say use Elmer's white wood glue ?

14. k-moe

I'm not opposet to using RTV to keep the gasket stuck to the valve cover. Sticking it to the head is another matter.

15. Plumper

Plumper Member

I used that sticky tack stuff to stick it to the cover it worked really well it's still stuck there, going from the gasket to the head is what I was talking about, I'm definitely gonna put some on the half moon parts but I was just gonna go a step further and use a thin layer on the whole thing, not enough so it oozes everywhere

16. k-moe

Just be sure to put a light coating of grease on as Polock suggests, or you'll be cursing yourself come the next valve check.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  17. Plumper

Plumper Member

Done deal, putting everything back together now let it cure overnight, go for a rip tomorrow try it out, I used a Allen key this time I could feel the shoulder hit the head and I stopped