1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

saddlebags 85 maxim-x 700cc

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Sweeley, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Sweeley

Sweeley New Member

Does anyone have a pair of leather saddlebags for a 1985 maxim-x 700 cc? or can someone tell me a good place to find some. Also looking for a crash bar for same bike. thanks

2. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Saddlebags shouldn't be too hard to find. Just make sure they don't hang too close to the exhaust or you'll have problems.

As for the engine guards, they're pretty hard to find but they turn up on eBay from time to time. You might also look into fitting some V-Max guards as they're probably more plentiful.

As always, HAP is the man to reference: http://www.maxim-x.com/engine_guards.html

He also has instructions for a saddlebag retainer on his site: http://www.maxim-x.com/saddlebag_retainer.html

Oh yeah... I don't know if there's info on the site, but I have seen leather saddlebags on his bike so he might be able to offer some specific advice there too.

3. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

I have looked and looked and looked for saddlebags for my Maxim-X but haven't found anything suitable. The upswept nature of the exhaust makes it hard to find bags that don't hang too low that are of any meaningful size. And of course if they hang too low then you cook the bottom of the leather.

One modification I've seen to deflect the heat is cutting two thin sheets of metal and clamping them together with bolts /washer/screws with air space between them. Then you attach them to the bottom of the bags and they act as a heat deflector.

You can find a wide selection of "leather-like" saddle bags at www.willieandmax.com.

Right now I'm getting by with two bags that attach to my sissybar.

Artie(RT)

4. Sweeley

Sweeley New Member

thanks for the tips fellows, just bought this bike and im trying to spice it up a bit

5. maximike

maximike Member

A good tip I saw on another thread here is exhaust tape on the bottom of the bags. It's not really visible, since it's on the bottom, and it is designed to wrap around exhaust pipes, so it's heat resistant. I am planning to go with those Willie and Max compact slant bags myself, as they seem to be the smallest and I measure room only for about 12" by 10" from between where I sit and the turn signal and the top of the exhaust. I have heard bad things about long term use of those Jafrum pvc bags.

6. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Someone on here welded turn outs onto the end of the pipe to solve this problem.
    Very small maybe three inches long.