1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seafoam

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by mtnbikecrazy55, Dec 31, 2011.

1. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

How many of you guys use it and how often?

Do you use it other than just adding it to the gas tank?

How much do you guys add per gallon of gas?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Speaking only for myself:

I don't.

I use Sta-Bil as my gasoline stabilizer, and used up the SeaFoam I had left flushing out an acid-treated fuel tank. It didn't do anything for me except make the bike run funky. I tried it based on all the glowing recommendations I got here; not impressed.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I've said it before - it's like buying Coleman Camp Stove fuel at $200/Gal.

4. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

When I first started carrying this stuff at the store I read the entire bottle.

Sounded like "liquid hope" to me.

I still use tried and true Sta-Bil.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i use it when i feel guilty about not doing anything for the poor old bike, then i put 1 oz per gallon and go for a ride.
    what else, it's a pretty good cleaner for those sticky price tags and it takes off buffing compound off real good

6. hendo68

hendo68 Member

7. fazerkid78

fazerkid78 New Member

I ran some seafoam with no real noticable results.

8. johnny77

johnny77 Member

The only fuel treatment I will use other than using stabile for storage is castal fireball. 1.5 oz per tank full does make my bike run better with more power and quicker starts cold or hot. However Im not willing to try any thing that the main compound is alcohol as modern gas has too much already in it for older bikes.

9. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

When I first got my XJ I dumped whatever was left of the old STP fuel treatment in the garage into the tank. 60 miles into my ride it was suddenly like a new bike. Not sure if it was the STP or that it just cleared itself up. That's the only time I've had any fuel treatment (including Seafoam) maybe do some good.

Sta-Bil for storage worked for dad and it's never let me down either.

10. TheRossRocket

TheRossRocket Member

I personaly use Redline SL1 in all my vehicles.

In my bike I use it maybe 1/2 bottle to the tank per couple hundred miles or so and I dont know if it is just me but I feel as if the bike rides a little smoother and a little more responsive. As for a milage difference; I have not payed enough attention to speak on that...

In my GMC Sierra I use one bottle per couple hundred miles and I notice a milage gain in that, small but it is there.

Same with the rest of my vehicles, I find that I like how they run after putting a bottle through it.

I get it at my local PepBoys, they dont have it listed on the website but carry it at my local stores.

Here is a link to a picture of the bottle:
    http://www.z1motorsports.com/popup_imag ... imageNum=1

11. Myron

Myron Member

I used the seafoam in my XJ 750, with no noticeable difference. Someone told me to run it because the bike sat for some time and it would help "clean it up". Ran it for a hundred miles or so in fuel and oil. Did another oil change. Never noticed any difference. I think its another gimmick. Spent the cash and still had to do the service. Save your money.

12. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Seafoam is a very nice solvent that much is clear (no pun intended). It cleans dirty parts extremely well.

Will putting a little bit in your gas fix major problems in your fuel system/intakes? Nope. But it does stabilize fuel and it will clean out light varnish and deposits. I've seen it work. If you coat a varnished part or dirty part and use some elbow grease it will become spotless which is more than I can say for WD, or most other knock offs. So it has uses-even so it is way overpriced. Should be $5 a bottle at most.

Came across an interesting add in the most recent Automobile mag that I thought you all might find interesting on this subject.
    [​IMG]

Now I've never been one to believe in 'STP' products, but the test results they show indicate better stabilizing than Sta-bil or SeaFoam and far better friction reduction than any other. Question is whether or not this is blatant advertising lies or a true test. Gotta love that catch phrase "Like a mechanic in a bottle," wondering does that mechanic have a freaking clue as to what he's doing or is he breathing fumes?

All joking aside if you're using regular old buy it anywhere gas in your carbs you should be considering 'something' to stabilize that crap before it causes you to prematurely have to clean again. And no I don't work for any of these companies-I just hate crappy fuel.

13. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I use Seafoam in all my engines for stabilizing the fuel during the months when I'm not using them. I also use it during the riding season to keep the fuel system clean. It seems to work for me.
    If your bike or particular engine is running fine, it's probably not going to change how it runs. If it's gunked up from old gas/varnish, it may clear it up if it's not completely plugged up.
    No, it's not a cure-all, but it does work to clear up plugged ports and journals sometimes and it's a great fuel stabilizer. My bikes start up every spring after sitting all winter with no problem. I've been using it for 10 years now.

14. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

FYI: Advance auto has a sale right now on all seafoam products for $2-$3 off. Personally I've always used the Lucas oil fuel system cleaner in all my vehicles with good results and sta-bil for winter storage. Since this stuffs on sale I'll prob give it a try. Can't hurt..

15. fakeplay

fakeplay Member

I use it all the time. I like it. When I first got my bikke The top of the pistons were all black now they look pretty clean.Does wonders for the inside of the carbs. too. Thanks I'm talking about seafoam not stp. Never used stp

16. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

It says on the can it can be used in the crankcase. Has anyone tried it

17. ericesch

ericesch Member

When I bought my bike amonth ago the idle was hanging up around 2krpm. I couldn't find an air leak around the carb boots so I tried some Gumout injector cleaner. Worth a try because I really didn't want to tear apart my carbs or the YICS thing. I used about a 1/4 bottle and ran a 200 mile trip. The idle is normal again so I think it helped.

18. Groundswell17

Groundswell17 Member

i used it in the crankcase, just added a bit to the oil, but this was specifically because i put synthetic in and it was screwing up my starter clutch. Ran it till it got hot, flushed, and repeat. It helped my specific problem a lot, but who's to say that just changing the oil a couple times wouldn't do the same. Only thing i noticed was a little of the characteristic seafoam smoke coming out that breather hose on my crankcase.

19. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

Lucas oil, Stabil [storage] and STP..........

20. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

Just taking 3 bikes out of winter storage. No Seafoam. No Stabil. Turned off the petcock and threw a cover over it. XS650 - 3 kicks, 1200 Bandit- 2 seconds of cranking. GS1100 - remains to be seen but starts better than the Bandit usually.These were all stored outside with just a vinyl cover over them.

The only thing I had problems with was my snowblower, but it sat from March to December. Some green gum I had to clean out after the first snowfall (cold fingers on that one). I think people worry too much. I tried Seafoam once, did nothing. Probably ran worse if anything. Both my riding mower and my snowblower have run on the same gas can for months.