1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

seat mods

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by OLeary, Mar 5, 2007.

1. OLeary

OLeary New Member

I'm trying to turn my 81 550 into a quasi streetfighter cafe racer. could anyone give me some insight on how to mod my seat without destroying it? i've been looking at different posts on the subject but i need guidance.
    I hope i dont keep asking stupid questions... thanks guys.

2. slickricky13

slickricky13 New Member

What do you want to do with your seat? Change its shape size that may help with the how to.

3. OLeary

OLeary New Member

i'm kind of torn wether i should bob the rear end of the seat out "cafe racer style" or just chop it into a single. but then i would have to worry about sawing down the cowl and rear end of the bike. I guess i'm just confused. the bikes a looker already but you gotta personalize.

4. lowlife

lowlife Member

Guy I know from another board is into street trackers and fighters , he did up his own seat/tailsection . Actually he's done several . Here is a pic of the beginning of a very simple one he has done . he does it pretty much out of wood structure and 99% fiberglass . (easy to work with , light and fairly inexpensive)
    Basically its a seat pan made directly over the bike with no wooden framing , then a wooden frame added to the tailsection , then fiberglass to finish. At the point it was at in the pic , he's almost ready to start laying fiberglass for the tailsection . A little trimming , padding and apholstery , done .

Attached Files:

5. Ease

Ease Member

Find an old / replacement seat on e-bay.

You can strip that seat down to the pan, and use THAT pan to build a seat on.

You can still keep your stock seat in case you want to carry another person / bring your bike back to what it was to sell.

Check out my seat build on dotheton.com: Seat For My Seca (ease)

6. ridz

ridz Member

whats that green and silver tube ?, in the back ground

7. OLeary

OLeary New Member

thanks ease, thats some pretty sweet work. as soon as this weather warms up (upstate ny) i'll be getting into it. cheers

8. Ease

Ease Member

No problem.

Look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

9. jasonlion54

jasonlion54 Member

OOZE!!!