1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca 650 Tire Size?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by On1wheel01, Apr 23, 2007.

1. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

Has anyone put a bigger tire on a seca 650? Mine is a 82. It has the 120/90/18 on it. I am looking and I see they make 130/80or 90,or 70/18's. But i am unsure what will fit without rubbing. I really want to go to a 130 but dont want to buy one and and find out wow does not fit. So if any one knows what would go on, that would be great. And what size would handle the best.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

First order of business, welcome to you 01Wheel, glad your here. Now about the tire.
    I'm assuming that your referring to the rear tire, correct? We have a member who squeezed a 160 on there but he ground out the frame and drive tunnel to get the clearance. Look up Mr. Lee or "hellboy" in the search menu.
    I personally do not dabble in such mods as I like my rear rim to be easily removable, but I'm sure there will be another member with more experience along shortly to help you.

3. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

I've always fitted a 130 with white letters even, and the letters stick out like another 1/8", on my earlier Seca's as well as my Maxim and it fits no problem. On the Vmax many do a little Mod to fit bigger rubber by shifting the 1/8" spacer washer that comes on the outside right side, and put it inside the hub of the drive before inserting the wheel. Just a little less teeth engage but have never heard any of the guys ever having a problem, I think doing that on a Seca or Maxim you could even go to a 140.

Good Luck

4. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

Alright thanx, do you think a 130/70 may fit? The stock is a 90. I've been told going to a smaller profile makes it wider also.

5. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

I'm sure it will fit, but I wouldn't recommend it, these bikes run really high rpm going down the freeway as is, a shorter diameter tire will just put your engine screaming even higher going down the freeway. One thing I always wished when I used to ride my Seca 750 was that it had a 6th gear.

Sometimes tire brands are a bit different in size, even with the same numbers on the side. On these older XJ bikes I really love Dunlop's K491's on them, they last a long time and have nice grip wet or dry, and they aren't as expensive as some other brands.
    But they don't last on a really powerful bike like a Vmax, for that or sportbikes I'd do different rubber, but the K491's are great on the XJ's.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Here here, I'll sing the 491s praises with you Russ. Got my first set back in 88, haven't purchased another type since, I've been that impressed.

7. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

Yea I looked at the 491s, but I am looking for a little more aggressive tire. I do a lot of curve carving, so I need one that will stick to the road like syrup. I may end up going with the Avon AM26. If so ill let u guys know how I like it. Thanks

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Try the 591 Sport, half the life of the 491 with quite a bit more bite for peg scraping.

9. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

Well wanted to let you guys know bout the tires, just got my new Avon Am26's and wow they grip the road like crazy,and I think it makes the bike look a lot sportier. Can't beat 77.99 each also. We shall c how long they last.

10. jamescomp

jamescomp Member

hi everyone i'm going to buy some new tires if i get these carbs straightend out.rickcomatic has been trying to guide me through it and think i may have it done right this time thanks to him. but back to my question has anyone had any expierience with bridgestone spitfire s 11's ? with the rwl they look like a nice clasic bike tire.but was wondering how the tire life and perfomance is with these ?

thanks james

11. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

Hey I had the spitfire 11's on my bike before the avons. They looked great and gave the classic look. I rode in the mountains with some friends with modern sport bikes and kept up pretty good(they did tend to slid around a bit). But if your going for the classic look with good pref I recommend them.

12. jamescomp

jamescomp Member

thanks man ill pretty much be riding on flat terrain so that wont come into play for me i do like the look of them.

13. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

Ok well tires still doing great. Next time I think I'm gonna try to put a 140 on there. I've been looking at it and I think it might just fit. Also the lower profile didn't seem to really affect the gear ratio going down the highway. So well see later on..........

14. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

Do you like having all of that excess weight on there?? When I started racing my 550 I was running a 130 on the rear and never using up all of the tread. I talked to someone who was running a fj600 and he was running 120's and was able to pass me. Well guess what I found out. When you squeeze that wide of a tire on a skinny rim it squeezes the profile. So while I thought I was getting a larger contact patch was actually the opposite. As soon as I went with the 120 rear, I was able to improve my lap times and I had some handling gremlins go away.
    Remember bigger or wider isnt better all the time.
    Sean

15. seca6750

seca6750 New Member

I've got the spitfires on my seca 650 and love them. they handle really well, bike transitions in corners and looks good to boot. I haven't ridden in the wet yet to evaluate how they stick in those conditions yet. Dunlap 491's are discontinued according to my local shop ....he said to check dates if you find any on the shelf.personally I never really cared for how the 491's handled in the rain either.... too hard a tire but they lasted forever. We'll see how the spitfires last, but so far I'm happy with them. I've got 2k on them so far(front and rear)

16. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

I run spitfires also with a 130 in the rear and they work great had them for 3 seasons so far.

17. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

Well the tire really hasnt had any problems with handeling. In fact it is way better than before. Never slips or anyting. But I don't ride in the rain.