1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca tire recommendation?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MBrew, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MBrew

MBrew Member

I've been running Bridgstone S11's for a long time. The rears are lasting about 7000 miles and the bike does ok when I ride it aggressively in the twisties, but I've wondered if there is a better alternative. A little better mileage would be nice, but I wouldn't want to give up any traction.

Your opinions would be appreciated,
    Mike

2. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

This old chestnut will get a 1000 different suggestions from all the "experts"!

I like Dunlop, but if you're getting good grip with Bridgestone, stick with them. Devil you know etc.....

3. MBrew

MBrew Member

The Devil I know is my natural tendency. If someone comes up with something thought provoking I'll entertain it though. Now that oil recommendation thread that's down the page.....I aint touchin it!

Thanks,
    Mike

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have Dunlop D404's on one 550 Seca, and I really like them, they work great in the wet but you do have to be somewhat careful with the upper powerband if you're cranked over hard in a second-gear corner. The tires were almost new when I got the bike (maybe 2K on them) and I've put 6K on the bike since; the rear looks like it's got maybe another 2K on it. So I'm looking at around 10K life, but the 550 is 100lbs lighter than the 650.

I have Avon AM26 RoadRiders on the other 550 Seca and they are downright amazing. They also work very well in the wet and it's much harder to crack the rear end loose during spirited cornering. They seem quite a bit "stickier" than the Dunlops but I have no idea how long they are going to last.

Neither the Dunlop or the Avon have a continuous center groove on the front tire, an important feature for me as I ride on a lot of rain-grooved freeways. I've been considering Bridgestone BT45's when it's time to put tires on my 650, just as a comparison.

5. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

That's excellent as I am looking to try the AM26 on my Ducati

I raced my RD350LC on the BT45 and the grip level was extremely good, good enough in fact to beat bikes 2-3 times the capacity on the fastest track we have in the South Island in the rain,I think the trade off would be in the wear rate though

6. MBrew

MBrew Member

Thanks for the input. I had to do something quickly. Since my front tire was still in decent shape I ordered another S11 for the rear to keep them matched.

I'm going to consider the Avon's for next time. I'd appreciate it if you kept us updated with your mileage.

Mike

7. horowm

horowm New Member

Buy the best tires available. I have Conti's on my Seca and Metzler's on my dresser. I really like the Metzler's despite their expense.

8. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Metzler LaserTecs
    Good tire, hands down

9. MBrew

MBrew Member

You're the first person I've come across that has used the Continentals. What is it that you like about the Metzlers over them. It seemed like the Conti's were pretty expensive too IIRC.

Thanks,
    Mike

10. c21aakevin

c21aakevin Member

I had a Continental on the back & Metzler Laser on the front of my old Maxim back in the '80's. They were both great tires. Held the road well, and ran good in the rain & snow.

I'm looking for 16" for the back of my Seca right now. All the reviews I have read say I should go with the BT-45. $100 is a bit steep, but if it gets twice the mileage of some of the comparable tires, I think it would be worth it.

I have been out of street bikes for about 15 years, so I am sure things have changed quite a bit. I paid $54 for my Continental back in '85, I think the Metzler was around $60-$65 then.