1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Shaft / Differential Oil Question?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pb81620, Jun 8, 2007.

1. pb81620

pb81620 New Member

I need to change the differential oil on my '85 XJ700. I have used a good 90 weight in the past, but I can't remember the quantity I need to use. My manual is buried somewhere in the garage too. Does anyone know right of hand about how much to add in?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

'Til it just leaks out the top of the fill hole is the Mfr. recommendation on my 81-84 XJs. I'm assuming your diff is similar.

3. Piersol

Piersol Member

same thing on my 86 maxim x, Put it in until it just starts to leak out of the fill hole. Let it sit until it stops leaking out, then replace the screw.

I use 75W 90 Synthetic in mine. 1 jug of it lasts a long time, so the synthetic isn't a bad deal at all for the price. It doesn't take much at all to fill it up.

4. pb81620

pb81620 New Member

Thanks much. I appreciate the advice.

Paul

5. samsr

samsr Member

I believe it takes .23 quarts. Doesn't hold much. A quart should last a while. Synthetic is a good way to go. I generally change mine twice a year. Good cheap insurance.

6. dayooper951

dayooper951 Member

Piersol, are you using something like Mobil 1 for auto diffs or is it MC specific?

7. Piersol

Piersol Member

nope, no MC specific for the rear end. Just picking up a full synthetic at Wal Mart. Right now I have the wal mart brand in there, but that is just to flush out the old fluid. Once I change it a few times, I will use something better such as Mobil 1 or another name brand.

So yes, auto diff. fluid.