1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Shared tachometers?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cattleman XJ, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

The only time my tach registers anything is at highway speeds and even then it might indicate 1000rpm.

in the event that I have to replace it, I’m wondering what other models might share the same style and correct display with fuel light.

this is for the XJ700N air cooled model

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

Yeah I haven’t been able to actually get into the guts of the thing as it’s a sealed unit. If I could find a gauge that worked and just swap them that would be nice.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Just keep in mind that the XJ700 air-cooled engines have a 9500rpm redline on the gauge face, and the water-cooled engines have a 10K rpm's redline....other than that, they're the same. The XV700/750/1000/1100's from this era use the same gauge, but they have a black face background (rather than white), but otherwise...…..the same gauge(s).

Cattleman XJ likes this.
  5. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

thanks Len!

ive seen a few of the water cooled X clusters on eBay and it’s got me to wondering what I could put in place of the water temp gauge. I’ve seen videos on how to un crimp the gauge rings and I started the process but eh....

naturally I’d be keeping to stock speedo to reflect its stellar (and accurate) 1,6xx miles

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I guess you could rig up a proper sensor that clips onto the cylinder head fins, etc. and use it as engine temp gauge, or, use an oil pan drain plug off of an XJ750 Maxim that has a port for a temp sensor to screw into it, and now you have an oil temp gauge. Of course, w/o some measurements and/or tweaking, the absolute numbers on the gauge would likely not be accurate, but...……..at least it would give you a relative sense of the temp as compared to some baseline...….

7. XJ550H

if you can find the resistance of the thermo unit in the x you can turn it into a volt meter

then set it with a fixed resistor

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Cattleman XJ likes this.
  8. XJ550H

upload_2019-12-23_18-54-3.png

Cattleman XJ likes this.