1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

she wants to race when i want to stop

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by supernube, Sep 24, 2009.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Dry set your floats BEFORE you set them with gas, to help you get to the correct height with less "tab bending". If you already did the clear tube method are you are within spec then you are all set with float height adjustment.
    It doesn't hurt to check the height again using the clear tube method, but if you've got it within spec don't take 2 steps back and dry set them.
    Of course if you never set them to begin with...well then do it!

(FYI: level of the gas in the float bowl determines how much pressure pushes gas up the jets. The air velocity in the carb creates a low pressure compared to this hydrostatic pressure plus atmospheric pressure in the bowl)

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

doing a sync with the engine cranking isn't the right way to do it but if you didn't bench sync it should get you close enough to start a proper sync
    without pulling the carbs
    only crank the engine about 10 seconds at a time and keep a eye on the starter temp
    what kind of sync tool will you be using ?

3. supernube

supernube Member

This is the part where I offer tremendous thanks to all you guys who responded to my post. I pulled the carbs and dry set the float levels (since I can't do it the right way due to stripped screws) Two bowls were way off (One at 22mm and one at 12mm) . Then I did a bench synch. Once they were back on I was able to use my manometer to bring everything into line.

After that it was a quick test ride and everything seems to be going well. So again, thank you all. And specifically to Polock and whoever posted the links to drysetting float bowls and bench synching. This is all much appreciated.