1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Shorter center stand on a lower bike?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by kciv, Jan 25, 2010.

1. kciv

kciv New Member

I lowered my bike 3.5”. I am barely man enough to get it on the center stand. Anyone have pictures of a modified center stand? Looking at it, it appears that I can drill new attachment holes down a 1” or 2” and cut off the tops the same amount. Does this work?

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I wouldn't move the hinge area, I would remove the stand and shorten it, re-weld it. But for now, there is an easy way, get some 2X4 and 1X8 scraps and make 2 little ramps that are 3" high. Drive the bike onto the blocks and put the stand down. Add a convenient rope to the front block and snatch it out.

3. kciv

kciv New Member

I shortened the kick stand about 2" which was perfect for a 3 1/2" drop. I took the 2" out of the straight part nearest the pivot. I saved the clip and hooked the spring on the arm groove and on the lever arm. So much for the no-start with the kick stand down. I will look for a shorter spring and and try to re hook up. This will be the hard part (fitting the spring).

I shortened the center stand about 3" which was also just about right. rear wheel is about 2" off the ground. The center stand was easier to shorten than the kick stand.
    1. Cut off the lever arm (where your foot steps down). Cut at the weld so that you can weld it back on later.
    2. Cut off the feet leaving about 1/8" of tubing. Make this cut parallel to the ground.
    3. Cut about 3" off the legs. Make this cut parallel to the cut at the feet.
    Cut off a little more or a little less to prep for the feet.
    4. Weld on the feet.
    5. Weld on the lever arm.
    6. Grind and paint to please.
    7. Bolt it up and attach the original spring.

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You should post pics of your work, if you can.

5. skillet

skillet Active Member

Good post kciv :wink: !!!

skillet