1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Sigh...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by TaZMaNiaK, Jul 12, 2007.

1. TaZMaNiaK

TaZMaNiaK Member

So I went on a ride yesterday from NYC to Philly (If you're an Opie & Anthony listener, yes, it was the WOW run). This was my third one, and the last two my bike was definitely the ugly duckling in the pack, since between rent, car insurance, gas, and a new transmission in my truck, I haven't been able to put anything into the bike besides making it run. This year I wanted it to at least look not SO old, so I stripped the gas tank and put on a rattle-can metal fleck black (which actually came out real nice after it was clearcoated and polished), painted the headers black since the chrome is shot, brushed and lacquered the handlebars/forks/aluminum trim, polished up the fenders and mufflers, repainted all the fading black plastic, etc etc etc. The engine still looked nasty, but thats a winter disassembly job. I put probably 40 hours into it over the past 2 weeks, plus spent over $200 on paint/supplies/cleaners/etc. It really made a huge difference and I was proud of it. It was still definitely the oldest bike there, but at least it looked like a work in progress and not a junk heap.

So all was good. We got to Philly, had a lot of fun, and then went to a bar where I had to park on the street. (you see where this is going now?) I was in the bar for maybe an hour and a half before I had to start my ride home. I came around the corner to see my bike leaning against a mailbox. It seems that the 30 feet in front of the bike wasn't enough for some idiot to park in. They backed up into my bike, and from the scrape marks the sidestand left, shoved it 2 feet backwards until the stand dug into the pavement and it fell over into the mailbox.

The damage..

- Clutch lever snapped in half -- Made the ride home that much more fun
    - Headlight bucket cracked
    - Gauge cluster bracket bent
    - Ignition lock broken off (gauge cluster hit it and snapped it right off -- showed me just how easy it is for a thief to defeat it)
    - New paint job ruined
    - Sidestand bent
    - Something is bent or otherwise out of whack because it now has a shudder at high speed

I am so beyond pissed. Not even that the shithead hit the bike. To hell with even leaving his info. A 'sorry i hit your bike' scribbled on a piece of paper would at least be something. But no. He might as well have spraypainted f*** YOU on the bike because thats what a hit and run is. it wouldn't even hurt as much if I hadn't JUST put all that time and money into fixing it up for the run. Money I didn't really have to play with.

I hate our entire species. :evil: :evil:

2. Meighty

Meighty New Member

I kind of know how that goes, only the guy fessed up and came in and found me. I normally ride a Harley Dyna and i was standing in line at the bank and to make a long story short. Dude came in and found me. Check out the damage and i call the shop and got a quote and doubled it and said told him thats what i wanted. He coughed it up because he didn't want to tell his insurance.

I can't even imagine what i would have done if he wouldn't have came and got me. I don't have the money to fix much either.

I want to find people who hit and run and burn their cars to the ground haha.

3. kontiki

kontiki Member

I'm sorrt that happened to you. I'd like to get my hands around the neck of that dork who did it.....

4. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

I feel for ya Taz, that sucks. Especially after you put all that work into her. Another reminder why bikers need to be TWICE as mindful of a$$holes that cant drive.

5. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

Often times a host (WOW) of a ride has to have "Insurance" for accidents.... may want to look into it! (Was this bar stop part of the ride or not?)

Wish I had some of the parts you were looking for..... you could have them if I did.

6. TaZMaNiaK

TaZMaNiaK Member

What really sucks is that I was debating whether or not to park on the sidewalk. I've never ridden in Philly, and I have"a few" unpaid $165 tickets for parking on the sidewalk in NYC.. Didn't know what the deal was there, so I just parked in the street , centered in the spot. There were 5 open spots in front of me. I can't fathom how someone could do something like that and just leave.

The bar was an 'afterparty'. It was planned in advance, but not as part of the run. It was just a place that us NY'ers could meet up with our Philly friends who couldn't make it to NYC to ride back. There were a bunch of people outside goofing off and taking pictures, so I put up a reward for the license number. I have a can and a half of the nastiest paint stripper you can get just itching to be dumped on the car if I ever find it. Its the stuff I used on the bike tank, and it was bubbling the paint off in literally seconds. Im not normally one to do scumbag vindictive shit like that, but I would get such immense satisfaction knowing that he walked out to his car and got tears in his eyes.

7. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

Well I just snagged a parts bike and can posibly help you out with some parts......

I can donate.... clutch lever, side stand, and rectangular head lamp bucket!!

All I ask for is shipping charges from my door to your door!

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Dude, major bummer! I'm very concerned that this is just the norm for our species, hope someone got a look at him. Given the locality, odds are good that the driver was a few drinks over the limit anyway. Typical near bars (I steer well clear of them by choice). Best I can do is offer my sympathies. Real smack in the privates.

9. TaZMaNiaK

TaZMaNiaK Member

I will absolutely take you up on the headlight bucket.. The sidestand I was able to straighten out with a torch and a shop press, and I already bought a new clutch lever because it was nearly impossible to pull in the stub without shredding my fingers. Any chance there is a functional set of locks on that bike you want to part with? :eek: The dealer by me wants a buck 30 for just the ignition lock (special order, 1 week to ship), plus 30 to key it to the rest of my locks, and that takes like 3 weeks. I can't be hotwiring the bike for that long (not to mention if I get pulled over for something, the very obvious broken lock makes it look like I stole it). Possibly also the clear plastic that covers the gauge cluster? I noticed a small chip in it yesterday that has now expanded into a large crack right across the face of the cluster.

PM me with your Paypal addy and what it costs and I'll make the transfer.. Thanks!!

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack or its going to keep-on going.

11. stankinjankins

stankinjankins Member

I hit a car once and I had the decency to stop and tell the gentleman that I hit it and the guy didn't act shocked or anything and told me that he seen me hit his car and made the decision that if I drove away he would call the cops cause he had my tag number but this guy told me it adds character to the car and let me off free. I got lucky nice old dude. And taz i feel for you.

12. Robert

Robert Active Member

Taz, I'll buy your wrecked ignition unit off of you, I want the tumblers. That ought to help out in getting a new unit. $10 including shipping fair? I don't have any spare units intact or I'd offer one up for you to plug your old tumblers into. Sorry mate. PM me if interested.

13. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I haven't been into one of these ignitions but I'd think the cylinder could be removed and put into the new lock.

14. MotoMark

MotoMark Member

Man, I so hope this wasn't in Fishtown or thereabouts as that is where the major courier bars are and I feel completely bad for you but don't have a part, let alone a bike, to help you out with. But if you tell me where this happened I will make inquiries with those I know to see if they can help rectify the situation. (Reminds me of the time I parked my car to take the kids to the park and came back to find the rear door totally smashed in and nary a note in sight.) As Sam sez "Humans are a virus on the earth."
    Some gets yin and some gets yang,
    Be cool, life is funny if you laugh,
    -Mark

15. TaZMaNiaK

TaZMaNiaK Member

Mark: Im not familiar with Philly neighborhoods, so I don't know what Fishtown is.. I was at Irish Pub on Walnut, and the bike was parked right around the corner on 20th St in the first spot

Carl & Robert: I don't have the cylinder anymore.. I kinda winged it at the pavement because I was so pissed, and I didn't see where it bounced..

Rick: Its too late.. The crack is already all the way across the cluster face. To boot, it rained today, and the whole thing fogged up on me.

I really need the world to stop f***ing me like this. My butt hurts.

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Hear you on this one bud, hang in there. We'll get you back where you belong, one way or another...

17. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

Tazmaniak- Send me your address via PM & I'll check the shipping charges. Sorry, No Paypal account.... I'll send a personal addressed stamped envelope toss in the shipping charges & snail mail it back. I'm trusting, & I know your good for it! :mrgreen:

Sorry guage cluster is smashed on this donor bike, so no lense and I hate to say it, but I'm already in the process of swapping the lock set over to my cycle.... & have the other lined up for a "project":wink:

***Your Maxim has the Rectangular head lamp, correct?!***

I think the only thing this headlamp is missing is the two srews that hold the trim and bulb assembly in, but you should still have those.....?? Soonest I'll be able to get it off is tomarrow (7/17/07) night, and mail it 7/18/07.

Anyhow, PM me your shipping address and I'll get UPS charges figured out (close - I'll guess weight) and PM you back. If you don't know the PM function it's just below this message!!

18. samsr

samsr Member

I have some gauge cluster parts for you as long as you dont need the gauges themselves. I believe I have an intact housing and a good back if you need it. I will take a look tonight and post up a pic for you. I know I have a good gauge face for you. Sold the 750j this spring and have no use for the parts. By the way that should be glass not plastic. Not user frienldy to change out though. Cover the shipping and it is yours.

19. ridz

ridz Member

man that would really suc, I would be in a rage..I dont know if they will interchange, but I have a tail light you could have its for a 700 max..I dont have the rubber seal for it..but if you could use it you pay shipping and ill send it to you...ridz

20. samsr

samsr Member

I have a rubber seal for the xj700 tail light if you decide to go that way. Unfortunately I found out that one would not fit without a few mods on a xj750j. It can be done though. I have the front pannel and the bracket for your xj750j gauge cluster also. Let me know and I will get them sent out. They are not going to do me any good any more. They may as well go to some one that is in need.