1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Smoke from under engine?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mshah0686, Feb 4, 2021.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

You should do a running sync even if you don't YICs tool. I have one that I used one time. After that I have done the running sync without it and I haven't noticed any difference. A lot of folks never use the YICs tool.

Timbox and hogfiddles like this.
  2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

My sync stick is still in the plastic from when I got it 10 yrs or more ago.

gauge needles.......I’d try to get 1 and 2 balanced a little more, then bring those inline again with 3/4. If it’s impossible to get it any closer/smoother, then leaving it if it’s running really good now.

mshah0686 likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The YICS tool is not needed. You won't ever be in for emissions testing. A runningsynch wihout will be more than good enough for daily use.

4. mshah0686

mshah0686 Member

I see. I wish I knew this before I bought one locally.

I can try getting it more balanced. I didn't have much luck the first time.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

In the pic, I see the exhaust weep holes are doing their jobs. Was that water/moisture or was it gas? I am sure you can get that sync a little close for that #1 cylinder.

6. mshah0686

mshah0686 Member

I think it was water. I smelled it and it didn't smell like gas.

Yep gonna try again sometime today to resync

7. mshah0686

mshah0686 Member

I need advice on this one.

The bike sounds fine on the stand and in neutral. But when I ride, it turns off as I pull in the clutch and down shift coming into a stop. I can hear the rpms go low and eventually shut off unless I keep reving as I come to a stop to keep them up. Then it idles fine when stopped. The bike is definitely warmed up since this happens even after 15 minutes of riding.

I tried raising the idle, but that felt like it was doing the hanging idle thing again and just felt like it was over revving every time.

Is this a fuel mixture ratio issue? Or another carb sync?

8. hogfiddles

1You might be turning the screw in too much at once— teeny tiny adjustments are what you try to do.

2. Conversely, what happens if you pull the enricher on in teeny tiny amounts?

k-moe likes this.
  9. mshah0686

mshah0686 Member

1) Ah I see. Generally, the increasing the idle should help with this right?

2) By "pulling" do you mean using the choke? I haven't tried this, I only used the choke on warm up.

10. hogfiddles

1. Well, if the idle is too low it can die. If it’s too high it can race. If you creep up on the speed you like, you have a better chance of getting where you like it than if you just crank the screw in a couple turns or farther out a couple turns. These are sensitive to small changes, so don’t make big changes at once.

2.when the bike is running and warmed up as you described; and the idle speed starts dropping and heads toward dying, as you described, what happens if you start pulling the enricher back on in teeny tiny amounts, as I described?
    You have a lever on your left hand control for the enricher. As you PULL. The lever it tightens a cable which opens the enricher plungers. This allows extra fuel in. Normally it’s used to start a cold engine by pulling it pretty much all the way on. But, if you’re having this issue and adding a TINY bit (or couple tiny bits more) of enricher bring the RPM’s back up to where you want it, then you need to look at your carbs again since that’s an indicator of still-clogged passages.

11. mshah0686

mshah0686 Member

1) That makes sense. Going to try it when it warms up outside.

2) Haven't messed with it enrichment while riding yet, but will do next time.

I did change the original jets which were #40 to #43 since the manual stated #43 for stock jets. This should make the mixture more rich right? Could this be affecting it?

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Are you making sure that the engine is warm enough to ride without enrichment before pulling away?
    A cold engine will die very easily, especially when coming to a stop.

13. mshah0686

mshah0686 Member

Yes, as far as I can tell it's warmed up.

This even happens 10 minutes into riding when it should be pretty warm. I haven't had a chance to test it since it's getting to be really cold the next few days.