1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Solid rear link in place of the shocks?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by caszboy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. caszboy

caszboy New Member

Hello,

I'm having a hard time finding a shorter shock for my xj650. I'm not trying to pay more then $50-$70 for used shocks that I'm trying to lower 3". So my friend suggested that we hard tail the bike. That sounds good but I didn't really want to hack up the rear yet, because I’m not sure of the final direction I’m going to go. So, we decided that maybe we can just replace the rear shock with a solid link and use a solo seat with 3" springs.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this? If so, do you mind posting a picture?

2. Natester

Natester New Member

I rode my ironhead sportster like that for 2 years.....get ready to hear a bunch of nonesense about your swingarm pivot not being designed to take hits like that....I rode my sporty hard for 2 years.....off curbs, jumpin speed bumps.....nothing ever happened. Do yourself a favor and make them look decent though,,,not just flat stock with a hole at each end

3. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

hey man, I found and used Sportster lowering links on my XJ750. they were 3" lower than stock. Got them on ebay for like $30...looked great. you can see them in my build thread int he modifications section