1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Something for the "Old Guys"

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SRADkneedragger, May 29, 2015.

1. SRADkneedragger

SRADkneedragger New Member

We recently promoted a SportBike Rally in the Texas Hill country. As a part of the Motorcycle Show I brought a few of my personal favorites. A VERY rare 1986 GSXR750 Limited( one of likely less than 300 units world wide) a Ducati 916 SPS(one of only 150 to reach America) a nice semi stock RC51 and of course my 550 Seca. On the ride after the show on Sunday I picked the Seca to join in the fun with the modern SportBikes. At the 1/2 way point we took a break and I commented on the younger guys on older bikes having to babysit me on my moped. To which one of the Riders who knows me remarked"you would probably smoke me on that thing if you tried!".
    Challenge accepted!
    Riding a 25 yr old bike at a race pace on prehistoric tires, is well,,, a challenge.
    To my advantage, I have 20 something years of club racing under my belt, and they were all street riders.
    The effort was heroic if I say so myself. It was a handful and weaving the back like a wet dog shaking. Moving forward over the front end and hanging off further settled the rear but began to push the front somewhat.
    Hey!
    Where did the kids go? Well I caught an occassional glimpse as one or two would build enough straight line speed to approach me on the corners, then it was bye bye again! Once the road straightened out the fun was over and they were gone. At the end of the day, the guy on the GSXR remarked" I don't know what was worse, watching that thing shake head to toe, or the fact that I couldn't pass you till the road straightened out!"
    Mission accomplished! Young lauded much respect on the "OG" and maybe learned, it's not just about what you ride, it's about skills.

SRADkneedragger

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

What is the best modification you can do to go faster? DRIVER TRAINING! Take a course at a track, and lap times will drop, I guarantee!

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Most young guys are horrified watching us slide to and fro on old bikes and like to hang back and look on in amazement how fast we can make them go. Went on a dealer ride years ago on a bone stock original 73cb750 and after 40 min the field had gone from 25 down to 5
    You obviously have ridden the basic stages of mc evolution.

1973 big kz900 big power(at the time)
    Good brakes but rubber frame
    1983 vf750 interceptor great brakes good frame small front wheel made for great stoppies but still bias tires
    1996 gsxr750 omg wheelies for ever and just about track ready out of the box

So when us old guys ride new bikes is seen too easy to go fast. Many a time when riding home from various dealerships I have worked in the past the look on officers face when I take off helmet and they see the mop of almost white hair the ask about the bike and merely a warning to slow down from a kid cop half my age.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  4. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I know if I dropped 50 lbs in body fat my bike would go a lot faster!

jmilliken likes this.
  5. Toomanybikes

But extra lbs above cg of bike means bigger wheelies...lol

6. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I gotta cut back on the Canadian bacon!

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Canadian bacon doesn't have any fat.

8. Toomanybikes

Yea but biggest scam ever, pork producers cut back on herds due to feed costs and big drought in US and 500 gram packs became 375 gram and same price ..... I call bullshit
    We go through 2-3 packs a week around my house

9. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

A bit of trivia; at last year's Wisconsin State Fair, one of the Blue Ribbon food products (don't recall the category . . . seems there are categories for everything).

The Blue Ribbon 'meat product' was Canadian Bacon wrapped in bacon. A giant Bacon Loaf - not too hard to be a winner with that. :)

jmilliken likes this.
  10. SRADkneedragger

Hmmm
    Bacon wrapped bacon, sounds a lot like
    Win win!

11. SRADkneedragger

Having ridin old bikes prior, when the 1986 GSXR's hit I simply couldn't believe it. They were , at the time, a straight out of the box RaceBike! The, power, brakes, suspension and weight were, unmatched by anything that had ever hit the streets. Years later as I'm working on my '86 GSXR750 Limited SuperBike restoration instill marvel at it. Not only at how phenomenal it was at the time, but how far it has been eclipsed by my Wife's '07 GSXR750. Riding these two Bikes back to back is an eye opener to say the least.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I actually live in the part of the U.S. where beef and pigs are made into tasty meat products. Feed prices went up due to an extreme drought and a few harsh winters that killed off as much as 40% of the cattle herds and a similar amount of the stock at pig farms (beef proces actualy dropped two years ago when herds were being culled to avoid cattle dying during the extremely dry summer months) The rising prices is not a scam; it's the nature of food production. The rains this year have nearly eliminated the drought in the Midwestern U.S., so prices may begin to fall as soon as next year if the weather cooperates and if the roads that were washed out can be reconstructed in time.

13. Toomanybikes

I know it's not a scam, it's just that we LOVE bacon and I hate paying more. As for the price dropping is like the oil companies are very slow to drop price at the pump when barrel price falls but very quick to raise price with rising barrel price. Yes it's a supply and demand thing but I LOVE BACON !!!!
    About to put a whole pack of bacon on to cook ........ Mmmmm BACON
    Oh crap I'm drooling on myself:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  14. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

We buy our bacon (and most meat products) from local farmers at the market . . . We pay a lot more for that, but I tell you I can taste a difference between pasture and non-pastured flesh. Those finished on grain are a close second. My motto; if an animal is raised with respect (love) and fed what nature intended it to eat (bovines are ruminants and should graze), that you can taste the happiness that the animal enjoyed whilst alive.

A happy cow/ pig/ chicken is a delicious meal awaiting to be eaten.

15. Toomanybikes

So how much @ lb do you pay for good bacon
    Might have to start importing direct

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

An animal raised with love is a pet.

17. kwes

kwes Member

Mmmm bacon

Toomanybikes likes this.
  18. Toomanybikes

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BACON

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Bacon and brussels sprouts...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

20. razz1969

razz1969 Active Member

A pig raised with love is a tasty pet......:rolleyes:sorry, had to go there.