1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Something to thank HD for....maybe....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Hillsy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

I was always curious as to why the US had 700CC models around the mid eighties (XJ700, GS700 to name a few), but they never appeared down here in Oz.

Well, today I found out why.

I read a review on a new book called "Standard Catalogue of Japanese Motorcycles 1959-2007" and one of the interesting things written was that in 1984 "Harley Davidson pressured the US government into introducing tarriffs on all imported motorcycles over 750CC, forcing Japanese makers to launch a series of 700CC bikes".

So there you go. Something to thank HD for.....unless you really wanted an XJ900.... :lol:

2. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    yep. thats actully one thing i actually learned about motorcycles when i got my first one in 91...

one of the guys i rode with had a honda nighthawk S with a 700cc mill. and in one of our conversations about bikes i inquired about why that was a 700 and not a 750. oen of the guys in the group told us...

us protectionism courtesy of the democratic congress...

3. Altus

Altus Active Member

Too bad it worked too... by 1990 they removed the tariff because HD was doing so well, and now we're stuck with fantastic glut of overpriced, overloud, mediocre motorcycles and tens of thousands of "bikers" living the "HD lifestyle".

Luckily, we didn't get hit here in Canada, so we got the 750 versions -- so that makes all those 700's a bit more of a collectors item I suppose... only ever sold in the US.