1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Sorry guys but I have to give up

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dgutowski, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Dgutowski

Dgutowski New Member

I was trying to replace the starter chain guide and the top bolt broke off as I was trying to get it out. Tried an "easy-out" but the bolt was put in with some heavy duty thread locker and would not come out. I drilled it out and tapped the hole. When I went to put a new bolt in the casting around it broke away. It's been great chatting with you guys and looking at your forum posts but I have no idea how to fix this one. If anyone is looking for parts for a 1982 XJ650, let me know, the rest of the motor is fine and I also have some extra parts.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Give it just a bit more before you throw in the towel.
    You aren't dead yet, take that casting over to the machine/welding shop and get it heli-arced back together. You have the pieces right? I'm voting for a good welder to set things straight.
    Moreover, if you really want to sell, you need to let folks know where the parts are.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you are that far into it, ... you don't have to throw-in the towel.

Buy a used Engine.
    Re-hab it or strip it for what you need.

GoTo a BoneYard Web Site that has Multi-Yard Network.
    Call an 800 Number and tell the guy what you need.

You'll find it.

4. brent_bastien

brent_bastien Member

in my expedrience with these bikes a cheap 100 dollar craigslist parts bike generally has a running motor in it they often have jacked up carbs or forks or something and a motor swap is actually easier than the stuff youve been doing

i vote for hang in there man

5. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Dgutowski where are you located if I'm near by I can give you a few numbers to call most of my friends are welders and metal fabricators.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

A good bike in the hands of a cheapskate is a good find.

Years ago, I bought an XS 650 Special from a woman who was "Clearing-out" all the stuff her husband left behind when he skipped-out on her.

"He would have taken it; but it won't start, ... and the Dealer charges $75.00 an hour just to look at it. Nobody's been able to start it."

It needed: Condensers.
    Loved that bike.

7. iandmac

iandmac Member

I just bought a parts bike with everything I need for my other project, and after a week of having it in the garage, it is now my project bike !! Stay with it, get another one and use this one for parts, you'll be ok, or as we say down here ... nowurriesshe'llberightmate!

8. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

+1 with these guys.... a machine shop or a good mechanic specializing in classic restorations can definitely set you right...Or there's probably an xj'er near you that might be able to help.... trust me.... you're not screwed (no pun intended). I felt way over my head sometimes.... and if I had a dollar for every time I.wanted to give up.... i'd be a millionaire. With help of the people on here.... I have a good running bike now.

9. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Make it interesting and upgrade to a 750 motor (12 extra HP).

10. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

Don't give up, I've found 2 xj650's on craigslist for under $200. They are out there. Post a picture of the cracked part. I'm sure you can find a machine shop to fix whatever's broken on there.