1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Sorting out my wiring loom

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by virus, Mar 15, 2010.

1. virus

virus Member

Hi again guys, Ive finally made some progress on my XJ600 engined chop project, and now Im at the stage were Im trying to get all the electrics sorted out.

Im trying to run as basic as I can on this, just so theirs less to fail, as such ive taken the side stand switch out and joined the 2 wires together, same with the clutch switch (im clever enough not to turn it over in gear on the side stand with the clutch out)

however someone has cut out the diode pack and joined the matching wires up, does anyone know if any of the diodes are especially important? Ive got quite a weak spark at the moment, i suspect that to be the fact ive got a weak battery and the coil packs arent bolted onto anything solid.

another issue i have is the lack of standard clocks, so I dont have the reed switch, is this vital to getting working indicators or can the 2 wires be joined?

Also can anyone tell me if the original ignition switch has any resistors etc etc in that means i cant use a non standard switch as ive got a car barrel for it so I can have turn key to start.

Thanks in advance for any help, and just to clarify its a pre diversion UK xj600, made in 91, ive attached a copy of the wiring diagram if that helps at all, it just confuses me :lol:

[​IMG]
    Cheers
    John

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I can give you the following:

(Stock) coils do need to be bolted down to perform correctly.

I don't believe there are any resistors in the switch.

The diode "pack" is just a centralized location for diodes that go to a BUNCH of different circuits, you'd have to check "per affected circuit."

The reed switch is just to provide a signal for the self-cancelling feature.

3. virus

virus Member

Much appreciated chap, I'll weld a mount up for the coils next time I go out for a fiddle. and the reed switch is good news aswell, I dont have self canceling indicators anyway, just got to sort out all the little bits of loom and remove the unnecessary once Ive got a decent spark(fuel gauge is going, clutch switch, sidestand switch, killswitch, pass switch, single bulb tail light instead of twin etc).

Cheers
    John