1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Southern Ohio/Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by japple999, Apr 25, 2008.

1. TheBostik

TheBostik Member

I live in Northern KY about 15 minutes from Cincinnati...

Currently working on getting my valves adjusted, then carbs synced.

If anyone has done this, and/or has a YICS blanking tool they'd be willing to loan for the afternoon, I'd hugely appreciate it as my tool budget is... low, to say the least.

2. RickLatta

RickLatta New Member

Hi all,
    I'm in Miamisburg, OH just south of Dayton. I just bought an '82 Seca 650 for almost nothing ($00) and am going to be bringing it back to life this summer and fall. Would be interested in any kind of rides or tech sessions. I'm lucky to have another bike to ride while working on the Seca.

3. coachholland

coachholland Member

Georgetown, KY here. There's been quite a few covered bridge rides benefiting the Amercan Cancer Society coming out of Taylorsville lately. I have a couple more things to do with my bike before I go on one, but you guys should look into it. It's on the Cinci craigslist all the time and hopefullly I'll meet a fellow XJ'er on one of the rides.

4. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

Cincinnati here ... Should be getting my Bike today... hopefully.. noob rider looking for more experienced rider wrenchers... hahaha

5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Member

Huber Heights, Ohio here near Dayton. always looking for a ride and learning something new. Not a expert on these bikes but can always get my self in trouble working on them.

Keith

6. japple999

japple999 Member

Got the bike running again. If anyone is in the Cincy area or is interested in doing a carb clinic, let me know.

7. captrobb

captrobb Member

Centerville here (Just south of Dayton). Moving in a few months though, but staying in the area. Have my own part-time shop (see my sig) and another job during the day.
    Always riding the area. Xj1100 streetfighter and 1970 HD chopper.

8. johnny513

johnny513 New Member

Fairfield Ohio, about 20 min north of Cincinnati. I own a custom and collision shop, Johnny V's Custom Paint and Collision in partnership with Spade Kreations. I bought an 82 xj650 on Monday and as of tonight its painted with Dupont chromabase jet black with an eggshell clear, clean carbs and a redesigned fuse setup. Having some pinstriping done eventually.. other projects come first..gotta love show season. Been a long weekend, ending with a long Sunday. I'm always down to meet up with people and check out other bikes.. pick your brains a bit. You can see some of my work at www.johnnyvs.biz and www.spademade.com .

9. CHassan

CHassan Member

I live in Beavercreek. I have a 82 XJ750. If anyone needs a bike to practice tune-ups on I'd be willing to bring mine over :)

Pops gave me the bike last year. I've done a little work on it, but I'm afraid I'll get in over my head if I open up the carbs or valves. It runs ok, and I ride it pretty often, but it cackles and stinks and doesn't have the power it should.

10. polarrey

polarrey New Member

I live near New Richmond area....just got my XJ 750 J.....got it running, but I don't think it is in shape for a ride. Having trouble getting the idle and mixer proper. Very frustrating! Would love to ride with you....once I defeat these whacky carbs.

11. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

A shout out to any Cincinnati area riders. Baseball season is almost over so it's time to get the Seca out for the first time this year.

Let's get a ride together soon

Rob

12. 213chrisp

213chrisp Member

i know its dragging out a old forum but i live in dayton ohio and wasnt sure if anyone was near that may be able to help me learn to ride safely?

Im the only one in my group that has a bike currently and ive got alot of experence with atv's and some dirtbikes, so the controlls and such im good with, just gotta learn the bike on a paved road and now i have my temps im good to ride (just need to get title put in my name and get tags for it and ill be hitting the road soon).

13. MooseDoggy

MooseDoggy New Member

Amelia Ohio here, would like to meet some fellow XJer's if I can keep mine running and get a day off.

14. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Thursday nights are bike nights at the Quaker Steak & Lube on Colerain avenue. Last week someone was there on a black 81-82 Seca 750 that looked to have had some recent work. Anyone here?

My son and I will be there tomorrow, look for a red one

15. goneape12

goneape12 Member

Hey all,

NKY here, so hello to all the Cincinnatians out there. I just picked up an 81 XJ550 maxim this weekend and would like to meet others in the area with XJ's. With these old bikes the more info and stories traded the easier it is to figure out what's troubling the bikes.

I'm pretty new to riding, so I'm probably not quite ready for any real "rides". But as I get there, I'd like to have people to ride with.

16. MooseDoggy

MooseDoggy New Member

hey there goneape, I just bought an 82 xj550 Maxim earlier this year, I live in Amelie Ohio, but work over in Florence where my supervisor is trying to get me to come out and ride with him, If I ever get a day off and can get out that way I'll give you a holla on here and see if you can meet up with us. I'm just begining to ride myself so there shouldn't be to crazy of a ride.

17. goneape12

goneape12 Member

Sounds great MooseDoggy. I just need to resolve what's hopefully a throttle cable change and then you know.... learn to ride a little more. Aside from the MSF course I've got a whopping hour or two under my belt right now. lol. However depending on the condition of your bike, if you need some help let me know. I'm trying to learn as much about these bikes as I can.

18. unclefester45102

unclefester45102 New Member

just figured i would let you all know i live in reading oh. just off a ronald regan hwy. old post but i figured worth the try i used to ride to amelia almost ever weekend last year on my old kz twin. i bought a 85 xj700 with 23,xxx mile had to clean carbs, replaced fork seals, two new tires, new final drive. still have a couple issues. front forks real soft i steped up to 15w fork oil so not sure whats up maybe they are all soft. my kz 750 was pretty hard. any info on this would be great. also i will be be willing to ride almost any weekend when i am more sure of the bike isn't going to leave me stranded.

19. Captain_Panic

Captain_Panic Member

Just picked up my 81 xj. Anyone else here in Columbus? I would love to have someone to ride with once I get my permit.

20. Captain_Panic

Captain_Panic Member

No one else up here? Foreveralone.jpg