1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Speedometer Hub not actuating

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by day7a1, Mar 13, 2010.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I took my wheel off to get the tire changed, and when I put the wheel back on the speedometer did not work. I then fixed it, or so I thought, until the other day when it was working, then it stopped, then it started again very erratically. The gauge works. The cable is not bound. I took the hub off and can spin the follower by turning the cable. However, it does not appear that the prongs are long enough to get to the slots in the speedo hub. When I have the speedo hub off and I turn it using the cable, it moves up (inward if it were on the wheel) enough that it would engage the prongs, but I can't get to work after installing the hub again!
    I either:

A. Am missing a piece/step
    B. Need a new speedo hub
    C. Need to fill the speedo hub with grease so the follower doesn't move outward.
    D. Completely off my rocker with these three options. :)

Please help! I don't see much about the hub in the Haynes manual.

2. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

try lubing all the gears in the speedo. i used bigfitz's tutorial and it revived mine to working condition. i had taken the gauges off to change out the bulbs and when i put it all back together they hardly worked at all

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

The speedo works fine, its the hub at the wheel that is causing problems. The cable will turn the mechanism in the hub so I know that part works fine, but once I put it on the wheel the prongs on the wheel seem too short to engage the hub mechanism. When I twist the cable to turn the hub mechanism the piece that looks like the prongs fit into it moves inward, but I can't recreate that on the bike enough to get them to engage permanently.

4. day7a1

day7a1 Member

No one knows? That makes me sad.

5. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

day7, when you put front end back together did you get the spacer back where it should go? Should be on right side of hub between hub & fork.
    Gregg

6. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Yep. Imma gonna fill it up with grease. I have the problem narrowed down quite a bit, I just don't know how it's supposed to go to know if it's broken or not. It worked, I don't think I put it together wrong.

The ring in the speedometer unit at the wheel that has the slots that engage with the two prongs moves inward and outward (as it sits on the wheel). If it is outward, it can't engage, the prongs aren't long enough.

I can actually move the wheel with the speedometer cable, so I know the linkage can work, it is just that either the prongs are too short or the ring that the prongs engage with doesn't stay in the right place.

I think the prongs need to be replaced at the actual wheel. They feel like they have been worn down, as they seem to be "mushroomed" a bit.

Anybody know how long those prongs should be?

Looks like its another email to chacal!