1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Speedometer problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sonwatcher, May 2, 2007.

1. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

I have an 82' xj650 Maxim. The speedometer quit. I took the cable out of the speedometer and turned the front tire in the forward direction and the cable did not move. But when I turned the tire in reverse the cable turned. My guess is that the problem is with the drive unit on the front wheel. Is this part hard to change and does it come with the new cable when you buy the cable ?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Don't know about changing the drive unit out, but I very much doubt that it would come with a new speedo cable. Let me check the parts list real quick...

...if I'm looking at the diagram correctly, the part number for that beastie is 4H7-25190-00-00, and is referred to as a "Gear Unit Assembly". And no, it doesn't look all that difficult to swap out.

3. LincsTriker

LincsTriker Member

It comes out really easy when you remove the front wheel, it just locates in the hub, and should pop out without any problem.

Lea

4. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

Thanks guys ! :)

5. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

Next question...does anyone know where the part can be bought as Yamaha has aparrently discontinued selling it.

6. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

That drive mechanizm is 10x stronger then that thin cable. Your cable housing attachment should unscrew or be able to remove from the drive mechanizm and from the speedo.

Those strands may lay over each other when it the cable breaks, and may easily rotate slipping over the broken portion of the cable, but reverse it and those strands may engage each other enough to see it turn by hand.

Save yourself the time of pulling the front wheel, just undo your cable at both ends and pull out the cable, my $$$ is on the cable snapping.

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Powerpartsplus has them. $60.43 + shipping.

Post your need in the Sell, Trade, Swap, Wanted forum. Betcha someone has a used one he'd part with.

8. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

I had the cable completely out and it appeared ok. I put the one end into the gear drive on the wheel and turned the upper end of the cable with the same results but I will check again to see if it is doing as you say.
    Thanks again guys !

9. Fraps

Fraps Member

I had my Speedo quit a while back and it was the drive plate in the wheel. Something happened that allowed the "ears" on the plate to make inconsistent contact with the speedo drive gear. This essentially eroded the drive plate ears and bent the plate itself. I put a new one it and haven't had problems since. I chalked the entire ordeal up to incorrect installation of the front wheel.

10. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

Well, I put a brand new cable on and it did the same thing. So I guess it is the gear unit. Looks like I'll have to do some price comparisons or maybe find a good used one. I noticed the XJ750 uses the same part. There is one thing I noticed, mine looks like the one on the xj1100- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-XJ110 ... enameZWD1V I noticed some do not have the bolt on the bottom of the gear drive that connects the cable. Thanks again guys!

11. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

Even though they look the same as mine, do you think the gear unit in the above link would fit the XJ650 ?

12. Fraps

Fraps Member

13. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

I'm guessing it is the unit. When you turn the wheel forward the cable does not move. It will move in reverse.

14. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

I just went and raised the front tire and took off the cable from the gear drive. I turned the tire forward and the inner sheath that the cable inserts to does not turn. But spinning the tire in reverse makes it turn. I doesn't turn in the direction needed. Before this happened the speedometer needle was jumping all over.

15. Nick

Nick Member

Why don't you just drop the front wheel and clean the old grease out of the drive unit and see what's worn/bent/broken. Maybe all it needs is a good cleaning, greasing, and reassembly.

16. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Take the cable off the bike.
    Pull the cable out from the cable sheath and examine it for any broken twists on the cable ... they're not hard to find ... don't do it bare-handed or one might bite.

Clean the cable and flush-out the sheath.

If you find-out there's a problem with the speedo drive ... they're a dime-a-dozen from breakers and ebay ... the same one was used across a whole lot of models and years.

Clean-out the drive and repack with waterproof grease.

17. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

Well, I should have left it alone LOL ! I did fix the gear. The ears on the inner plate were bent. But then I found the speedometer wasn't working so I thought I would take it off and have a look and maybe grease it. Well, I loosened the 2 bolts that hold the guages and they snapped off in the Headlight mount ears. :( I don't have an easyout nor have found anyone to do it so I guess the bike is parked until I can get another set of headlight ears. :( Will have to look for a Speedometer also.

18. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

I got the bolts drilled out and tapped. So I'll get that back together and look for a used speedometer. Thanks for all your input guys !

19. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

Just won a set of guages on Ebay. Everything should be good as new soon :) This definitely was an experience LOL !

20. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Member

I got the gauges today. I had to swap out the new speedometer into the old housing as the new Tach was mechanical and mine is electrical. But that went easy. Took it for a spin and she works like a charm ! :) Only 9000+ on the odometer so hopefully it will last awhile. The light even works ! My old one didn't. Thanks to all that helped !

Ron