1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Spinner

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Artjim, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Artjim

Artjim Member

Has anyone tried these and cares to comment?

I would like to replace the tail lights on my '85 Maxim X with these, I think...

Spinner

2. blame_the_po

blame_the_po Member

looks good, im waiting for feedback too.

3. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

I would stay away from those. Looking at the picture it appears that not all twelve Led's are on at the same time.

I have two 18 led's 1157 bulbs in the rear of my 750. Bright as heck at night but not the best during the daylight hours.

4. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

5. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I do believe the spinners are illegal in most states. I was tols by law enforcement that any flashing or spinning lights are for emergency vehicles only. I do think they will get some attention, but maybe the wrong kind!

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

From the article and Rob's comments I can draw the conclusion that LEDs are fine in certain applications but for others it's hard to beat the good old 1157. Especially until manufacturers start designing lenses and reflectors specifically for LEDs.
    I used superbright 5-LED white 1394's for the instrument lights (only) on my 550 Secas. Great improvement there, but they are actually TOO BRIGHT for the high beam indicator, turn signal arrows, etc. Everything else is good ol' incandescent, although both bikes are running H4 Halogen headlights.

7. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

I'd say if you try that red spinning light, the highway patrol is going to show you their red spinning lights. And I'd almost bet their's will beat yours any day :S

8. bill

bill Active Member

I replaced my 1157s with the LED version. IMHO they were much brighter at night and a bit brighter in the day. I put one of each in and asked my Wife and kids which side appeared brighter while in the driveway. Lens was on and they had no idea why I was asking( they are used to me asking strange things). Anyway everyone picked the LED side.

9. bill

bill Active Member

I also added a small bar of LEDs that flash 5 or 6 times then come on steady. I believe they are illegal here but I have had local and state police behind me and no reaction.

Spinning would be a different matter I think - subtle is a better approach.