1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

spoked rims for a bobber build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by bassliner007, May 5, 2012.

1. bassliner007

bassliner007 New Member

I am looking for spoked rims for my 750 seca bobber build. i iam new to this so i am having a hard time finding them. is there any place to find them? ive been over the internet and everything is too expensive. another question i have is, would any one suggest powder coating the rims that are on the bike? they are oem rims.

2. KDub

KDub Member

Unforunately aftermarket bike wheels do tend to be expensive, this is because most bikes have their own offsets, axle diameters, sprocket sizes, etc. Occasionally you'll get lucky and find a wheel from another manufacturer that will fit with little modification.

You'd be hard pressed to find a spoked wheel for a shaft-drive bike though, maybe a BMW wheel may fit but I don't know for sure.

As for powder coating your stock wheels, that is doable. Personally I would paint them though, because when paint chips you can touch it up, but when PC chips you have to get it re-done again.

3. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

There was the Japan only GX750, which was a spoked wheel version of the XS750.
    One drawback is that the rear brake is disc not drum, don't know if that is really a problem though.
    Spares are like rocking horse shit.

http://www.autoevolution.com/moto-image ... /3691.html

4. strat

strat Member

I think certain year viragos had spoked wheels with shaft drive and drum brakes. Pretty sure I remember seeing a thread on here saying they would work... Might have to search for it

5. strat

strat Member

6. bassliner007

bassliner007 New Member

thanks guys. i am amazed by how much u guys know about these things. now only if i can find those spoked rims. lol. wish me luck!

7. super8

super8 New Member

70's Moto Guzzi's have shaft drive spokes wheels (some later modles too i think the nevada/calli etc range.
    dunno if its any help.

8. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Yes the 700 virago wheels will work, but you will need the complete front end (Forks, Tree, Brakes) also to make the front wheel work.

If you find a set of wheels that need new spokes check out Buchanan's Spoke & Rim.

Ghost