1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Spongy Brakes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by luminaman, May 20, 2011.

1. luminaman

luminaman Member

I just replaced the piston seals and brake pads on my 82 Maxim XJ 750. I have repeatedly bled the lines, and no air bubbles appear. When I do a test ride, the rotors come back clean, showing no signs of brake fluid, which I hope means the seals are good. However, the brakes feel mushy. I need to squeeze the brake handle about 75 percent of the way until they begin to grab.Is it possible that my master cylinder needs a rebuild?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes it is. Plus if those are the original lines, they need to be replaced as well. Their lifespan was four years, and they were "spongy" when new. Now would be a good time to upgrade to stainless lines.

3. stv1991

stv1991 Member

Where can I get stainless lines for my 1982 Seca 550?

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

XJ4Ever; click on the logo/link in the banner at upper right of this page; PM member chacal, or email Info "at" XJ4Ever.com.

5. mirco

mirco Member

I am still running original brake lines on my '82 750 seca and my front brakes are rock solid. However, on my 550 with the front caliper rebuilt and lines vacuum bled, the front brakes work but are spongy. On closer examination it is clear the mc needs a rebuild (you can see fluid leaking past the mc piston on application of brake lever).

But as Fitz said, now is the best time to replace the lines - I wish I had. It would give you peace of mind and quite possibly save your skin.

That being said, motorcycling is inherently risky business. Best wishes - be safe - stay sunny side up.