1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Squeeking/Scratching noise from front wheel

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Swampfox, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Member

While riding this morning the front wheel began making a horrible squeeking and scratching noise that actually sounded quite horrible. Applying the front brakes did not alleviate the noise and from what I can observe the brake pads still look decent. There doesn't seem to be any abnormal wear on the tire anywhere so I am somewhat confused. Any help?

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You can retract the brake pad, by carefully wedging and prying a knife and thin screwdriver, and go for a very short ride.
    If it still squeaks, it's either the bearings, or the speedo gear thing.
    Front bearings can sieze up !!

3. FROGRIDER

FROGRIDER New Member

I had the same prob.

Changed front wheel bearings, even though they looked good. Had tires speed balanced. Still Squeeeeeking.

Bought a spray can of Stop Squeek and as long as it is still on doesn't squeek. I never heard this was a bad thing, only makes the rotors look ugly Can someone tell me for sure if its OK?

These pads are the original and has only a couple of thousand miles. I am guessing just brittle pads. Going to change them when it gets cold here in the south.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Can you duplicate the noise by just spinning the front wheel? It could very well be your speedo cable, speedo gearbox, a wheel bearing heading south or brake-related. Since applying the brake didn't change anything, I would suspect one of the first three. Put the bike on the centerstand and have someone sit on the back of the seat to get the front wheel in the air, and spin it. With your face right down there and no helmet you should be able to figure out the source if it will do it for you.

5. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

My speedo cable screamed until I lubed it.