1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter button cleaning

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 600ccmicrob1, May 18, 2009.

1. 600ccmicrob1

600ccmicrob1 Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question. How exactly is it cleaned. I opened up the right hand controls where the switch lies, but was not sure exactly what else to take apart on the actual button and clean. Any insight or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Foxman48

Foxman48 New Member

You may not have to disassemble it. get a good degreaser spray (plastic safe) and Give er!

3. Altus

Altus Active Member

Use a can of electronics or brake cleaner to clean it out -- it's going to want to drain crud out so be prepared.

After it's dry I re-lubricate with some dry graphite -- you can use whatever your preference is, but non-oily is a plus

4. paulg

paulg New Member

Avoid a graphite lube, graphite is conductive. A little silicon grease should work.

5. dmschuler

dmschuler Member

Taking the switch apart isn't that difficult. After you take the assembly off the handlebar, it's a matter of one screw (be careful taking it out - small and possibly rusty)

Once the switch is out, compress it slightly, push the top up a bit, then release the pressure on the spring.

Taking it apart is the only way to properly clean the contacts of the build up of carbon.

I took pics of the procedure last night, but unfortunately they all came out blurry. Good thing I'm not a photographer - I'd starve!