1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Freewheeling

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kq6up, Oct 29, 2008.

1. kq6up

kq6up New Member

I have an 1982 XJ750 Maxim. My starter started freewheeling today. It sounds like the pinion gear for the starter is not coming all the way out and engaging the engine. Does this mean I need a new starter? It seems a bit intermittent.

Chris KQ6UP

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sounds like your starter clutch has given up the ghost. You don't have a pinion gear amigo. Have you changed the oil recently or used an oil additive? Oil weight/additive packaging/synthetic use can affect the starter clutch function.
    The sprag assembly might have trashed springs and/or rollers. Need to open up (through the alternator shaft hole) to determine condition.

3. kq6up

kq6up New Member

It does work when it is cold, but I did change the oil a couple of days ago. That makes me believe it has to do with the lubricant. However, I have been running that oil before with no problems. This stinks because that was about $30 of oil in there now. The very best for my baby. I will try cleaning it out with sea foam and running GTX 20/50 for a while. Then maybe switching back later to see it causes a problem.

Thanks,
    Chris KQ6UP

4. bill

bill Active Member

I tired synthetic and had similar starter issues. Since using the castrol 20 W50 no issues for almost 2000 miles

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Same thing with my 900- - trouble free starting, then AmsOil motorcycle 20W50 synthetic, and nothing but grinding, rarely started. But I live on a hill and I wanted synthetic in there for a while.

I did an oil change without the filter, leaving about a quart behind, and topped off with Castrol 20W50 and the starter works fine.

Doesn't this prove that AmsOil is more slippery than Castrol GTX ??
    And why would that affect a sprag type clutch ??

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Mine does that only when starting her up the first time one a cold morning after sitting a couple days. When I say cold I mean the shop is about 40 and the air outside is about 28. On days that the air temps are about 48 on up, it doesn't do it.

When it's as cold as 28 - 30 degrees, she'll spin the first couple touches of the button, then she'll lock right in and start right up.

Could be you're just starting on a cold day?

dave

7. bill

bill Active Member

Well mine was Amsoil too.. Don't know why it makes it slip.

8. kq6up

kq6up New Member

Now it stopped doing it after calling my dad over to come see. I guess he scared the gremlins away.

Chris KQ6UP

9. Robert

Robert Active Member

"An appliance demonstrated for the repairman works perfectly every time" Murphy's Law. Glad the noise stopped.

10. PSteele

PSteele Member

My XJ 650 has the same problem on cold mornings, usually 3C (37F) or lower. After a few touches of the button, it locks in and fires. A pain, but so far that's all it is.

11. richt

richt Member

I had a honda cb650 with starter clutch issues. The starter clutch has rollers set in an anged slot in a rotor, that ar pushed by really light springs (like the springs in a ball point pen). The rotor turns around a smooth shaft. When the starter turns the rotor, the rollers are pushed out and basically wedge into the shaft to turn over the engine. Once the engine starts turning, the tapered slots allow the rollers to slide back into the rotor (starter clutch assembly).

as stated in the above posts:
    1. you may have an issue with the springs in the starter clutch springs. The springs may get mangled and fail, so you will have a percentage of successful starts by getting lucky. Solution: replace defective rollers or springs

2. over lubricated engine starter clutch. If the lubrication is the issue, you may be experiencing a form of bearing skate. Since the starter clutch has rollers in it, there is finite grip to the starter clutch. It is possible that the modern lubricants are so slick, that you are getting this skate. You may need to change your lubricant.

With things cooling down, your starter clutch rollers may not have enough spring to engage as the starter turns over. You may want to go one grade lighter oil as well.

12. kq6up

kq6up New Member

Thanks richt. You gave a very good description of what is going on. I am planning to change to Castrol GTX 20/50 in a couple of days. As it has been acting up again.

Thanks,
    Chris KQ6UP

13. richt

richt Member

Hope it's just the oil. I had a heck of a time finding replacement springs. Ended buying a parted out transmission (honda cb650).

14. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

Try Old Bike Barn for starter clutch parts.

15. kq6up

kq6up New Member

Mine is still freewheeling. I wonder if this could be a starter issue too. Every once in a while I press the start button and I get nothing, not even the spinning.

If it just the oil, I think I can live with it if the synthetic makes my engine last longer.

Chris KQ6UP

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Define nothing please. No sound, no movement, etc... If you get no sound, it is possible your starter button is corroded or your solenoid is headed south.

17. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

I'm guessing your starter button could use a cleaning along with other issues he may have.

You have to understand that when you have a 35 - 30 yearold bike that has more than likely been neglected that whole time and in many cases sits out in the elements a good deal of that time, there are items that need to be attended too. One of the first things I did when I aquired my bike a few years ago was to go through all the switches and contacts and clean them. It gets kind of tedious but if you want your bike to do what you want, when you want, you have to do a little PREVENTITIVE maintenance.

I have a few issues with mine that I need to address this spring before I can be 98% sure its going to do what I want, when I want; carb rebuild, new electrical block, and valves shims checked.

Also what I've found is try to do your homework. Before I changed the oil when I got my bike I searched this as well as other sites and found many people who have had issues with synthetic and exotic oil blends. I saved myself the 30 bucks and avoided that pitfall. Remember that real successful people learn from others mistakes and experience.

So, start with the oil change, That would be the easy way to figure out what the problem is with the engaging issue. A lot easier than pulling the starter. If the oil change doesn't do the trick, then look deeper.

Good luck with your issue, I think when you think it through you will probably find out it's not as bad as you think it is now. Even if you do end up fixing the starter, count your blessings that its no a 80 BMW that needs a starter. Thats what I have waiting on the other side of the shed. The XJ is usually a simple, relatively inexpensive fix, thats why its my usual rider and the BMW is the project.

Don't get discouraged though, step back and think it through.

The Buff

18. kq6up

kq6up New Member

Thanks for the info, but I am still wondering if the problems caused by synthetic oil are overshadowed by the wear protection it provides. It seems that slicker would be better for the rest of the bike.

Chris KQ6UP

19. bill

bill Active Member

Chris regular oil works fine when changed regularly. I went the synthetic route and had the starter clutch issues. I went back to regular oil and no issues. If the starter clutch continues to slip you are wearing it down. Replacing it requires pulling the engine and splitting the case. (there is a short cut but difficult and a bit risky). Any extra protection the synthetic may or may not provide is not really worth that much effort and expense IMHO

20. kq6up

kq6up New Member

Thanks, I will be switching over. Save mucho $ too. That synthetic stuff is expensive. Someone posted that they used GTX 20/50. What is the best 20/50 to use?

Chris KQ6UP