1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter? Fuse box? what could it be?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ianthrax, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

Hey guys, i need some help!

1982/3 (forget which and the title is in deposit box) seca 750.

Well, I know my bikes history pretty well-it was originally owned by some random guy...but bought by my neighbor and garage kept in good condition from 86 til 2002 when he gave it to his son. His son layed it down once in 2005 and, because he had other bikes, never messed with it and it was kept in his garage for 5 years without running. He said originally it didn't start because whatever sens fuel to the carbs was clogged, (he told me but i forgot what it was). Once that was taken care of, it ran great! once it got started of course.

My problem is that for some reason it won't crank a lot of times. then, when it does crank it makes a spinning noise as if it were trying to start but never getting a first fire. If i can get it to fire, it runs fine. but first i have to get the starter to do anything in the first place. the lights are all fine-it does dim a little bit when i hit the starter button, whether anything happens or not. not much though.

The fuse box seems to be ok-in the sense that it was broken obviously once upon a time and the guy rigged it to be ok without replaceing.

I really don't think the carbs need to be cleaned right now, maybe in the near future, just for maintenance, but it runs great when i get it started. (could be wrong, though...not an expert).

Does this sound like a starter issue or a fuse box issue? has anyone had the same problem and fixed it?

Oh, and it seems to happen more when it's really cold than when its not, but sometimes the cold doesn't affect it at all

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

-battery
    -fuse box ("rigged to be ok" won't do.)
    -wiring/connections between battery/solenoid/starter
    -button at handlebar
    -solenoid (actually just a giant relay)
    -engine oil change? Synthetics can cause starter clutch slippage.

3. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

-Battery: Brand new but needed to be charged 3 hours before i used it. However, because i was on the side of the road, i didn't have that oppurtunity-i just bought it and put it in. That was a month ago-i knew it wouldn't last as long, but it should still be fine.

Fust box: i hope this isn't a dumb question, but where do i get one to replace it with?

All connections between the battery/solenoid/starter were checked by the guy that i got it from and were fine. As well as the button at the handlebar.

Solenoid-i don't know how to see if that is good-should i just replace it?

Oil change: I think he changed it before he gave it to me but not positive-will do this week.

4. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

By the way, the previous owner is a good friend of mine, he's had bikes all his life-races mx and does demos for street bikes. He is also an airplane mechanic. I don't know a lot about what i'm doing when checking voltages, but he does. I will be learning i'm sure.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

-bad assumption on the battery, charge it fully and then take it to the auto parts and have them check it.

-our resident parts source, chacal (see "Supporting Vendor-XJ4Ever" forum) carries everything necessary to retrofit to a modern blade-style box.

-you're putting way too much trust in the previous owner. Obviously something is not fine with one of those.

-don't replace the solenoid until you've done everything else. A quick check is to jump across the terminals when it's NOT working, if it works then it's the solenoid.

-avoid synthetics and any automotive oil that contains friction modifiers ("energy conserving.") Best bet is to use motorcycle-specific conventional oil.

-BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE: check the rear brake for delamination, it's a common failure no matter how/where the bike was stored: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15874.html it can cause sudden rear wheel lockup, it HAS happened to more than one of our members.

-immediately install an in-line fuel filter; and plan on pulling/cleaning your carbs at some point in the near future.

-get a service manual.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Since you mention that this Bike just sat for 5-Years, ... it might be worth taking a shot at giving the Starter Clutch area a douching.

Drain the Oil
    Pull-off the Oil Filter Dome.
    Leave the Oil Drain Plug out.

Pull the Starter.
    Use a Rubber Ear Syringe with Vinyl Hose extension.

Fill the Syringe with SeaFoam.
    Put the Vinyl Hose on and squirt the solvent at the Starter Clutch and surrounding area.
    Thoroughly clean that assembly as far-in as you can get the Vinyl Hose to the Starting Mechanism.

Hope that there was sludge clogging the works and keeping the small moving parts from moving.

7. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

Awesome.

Ok, It's FREEZING today, so tomorrow i will be pulling and charging the batt.

changing oil

cleaning starter clutch area

checking rear brakes if i have time (of course won't be riding it for a minute). Also changing brake fluid if i have time.

Thanks for all the help guys!!! i will let you know my progress-not sure if it will fix things, but it's a place to start!

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

There is NO Guarantee that washing the Starter Clutch area is going to cure its failure to engage and crank the Engine.

You need to be prepared to have an extensive amount of Labor performed if the Starter Clutch is bad.