1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter problem for xj600

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dm88, Jan 28, 2006.

1. dm88

dm88 New Member

Sometimes i can't stop starter, even after switching of ignition with key - only way is to remove battery wire. What is problem and how can i avert it?

2. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Time to strip down and clean the switches in the handle bar controls.

I had a similar problem with mine where the headlight switch had to be on. If you switched the headlights off then the starter would engage.

Need to check for corrosion, squashed spring behind starter button or short in wiring.

Most of the XJ wiring joiners are in the headlight bucket so you need to check for abrasions or shorts where the wires pass thru the bucket opening.

My problem was caused by the PO losing the keys and hotwiring the bike. When he found the keys again he made a ballsup of reconnecting all the wires. I spent three full days correcting it all.

Word of warning. There will be lots of swearing and cursing while trying to locate any eletrical problem. Be patient and methodical and you will get it fixed.

Cheers
    HG

3. Kickkem

Kickkem New Member

There is also a starter relay switch on my 86 XJ 700 under the seat that could easily become fried and stick. I'd check that as well.

Kickkem
    T Town, OK