1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter solenoid switch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by trentgrasso, Feb 28, 2018.

1. trentgrasso

trentgrasso New Member

My solenoid went out on me and I've read a little about people using small riding lawnmower and tractor solenoids as replacements. My question is on installing. The red/white and the blue/white are obviously going into different places to the coil inside. But the replacement solenoid only seems to have one terminal where both of these wires should go in. Any advise on where these should go to run properly? Or also I just need to find a different solenoid.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

on stock solenoid the 2 small wires connect to a coil the solenoid is an electro magnet you will find that the solenoid you purchased has a connection from one of the large bolts to the coil and you only need to ground the quickdisconnect the tab blue wire.
    or the mounting bracket connects to ground and the hot lead would connectto ground.

buy the correct solenoid they are not expensive aftermarket on ebay 10$ used oem 15 to 20

3. XJ550H

4. trentgrasso

trentgrasso New Member

I just found that and purchased, didn't realize they were so cheap. Thank you @XJ550H! You always come in quick with good advise.

5. XJ550H

dealership wants 50 to 60 $

ebay price you can always have an extra on the shelf used or aftermarkek new

I am waiting for snow to melt next few days I will get to go riding