1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter won't shut off

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hamed, Sep 10, 2019.

1. hamed

hamed New Member

Weird issue...

1. My bike completely shut off while driving with no electrical whatsoever. completely black.
    2. I found out the ignition fuse blew
    3. I jumpered the ignition fuse and started the bike a few times, no problems. (I did not replace the blown fuse)
    4. I started the bike today and the ignition fired....then the starter kept trying to turn regardless of the key position. I tried to turn the bike off and the engine kept trying to turn over. Even when the engine turned over , the starter kept firing. I removed the jumper (noted in point 3) and still kept firing.
    5. I removed the negative battery terminal and the bike finally turned off. I also removed the positive terminal as well.

Bike is a 1982 XJ650 Maxim. original fuse box, new battery, and the PO put in a simpler after market gauge and removed turn signals and lights. I just received a blade style fuse box and I plan to upgrade but I want to know if anyone has had this problem before.

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Likely the starter solenoid is mechanically hanging up or has welded the contacts closed - I would suggest replacing it. With the battery disconnected you can check continuity across the two large terminals and it should read open, yours will likely read a low resistance.

hamed likes this.