1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

still with the signals!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JBL357, Mar 22, 2011.

1. JBL357

JBL357 New Member

So i started out with no signals working at all, then i went to only left side front and rear staying solid no flash, with nothing on the right. now after re-checking everything from the relay to the switch on the left side o handle bar with some re-soldering i have all four working when i signal for either left or right but there is no flash they will just stay solid... now what? 8O

2. BlkMage

BlkMage Member

As far as all 4 at once, are you using 2 indicator lights on your "dashboard" or just one? If it's just one, gotta put in a pair of rectifier diodes so current doesn't just jump across to the other side. About staying solid, check your flasher relay and maybe look into replacing it. Just making sure, do you still have bulbs in your flashers or LEDs? LEDs require a different kind of flasher relay.

3. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Sounds like you're about 99% there. Even with a fully charged battery they may not blink unless you have the bike running, revs around 2-3,000 so the system is charging. Mine are 27w bulbs, new battery, full charge, and stop blinking when the bike drops below 2,000rpm.

Fully charge the batt, warm the bike up, and run it around 2,500 rpms with the signal on, and make sure you have 27w bulbs. If that doesn't help then you may need to install an electronic relay.

4. BillB

BillB Active Member

Are you running LED signals? If thats the case you need inline resistors for a quick fix.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Hook-up a Battery Charger to the Bike and Test the Signals with the Charger providing some Amps.

If your Signals Blink, ... the "System" needs more current.
    Battery?
    Maybe the Battery isn't putting-out enough Amps.

Alternator?
    Maybe the Alternator isn't putting-out enough Volts.

Test:
    Run Bike up to 2250 rpms.
    Measure VOLTAGE across Battery Terminals.
    >> 14.2 -to- 14.5 Volts = Specs.
    >> Below 14.2 / Check Alternator Brushes (Length 10mm Limit)
    >> Check Quick-Connection between Voltage Regulator and Wiring Harness for signs of Overheating. (Melted connector)

>>> Connector Melted / Suspect Regulator Damage.

6. JBL357

JBL357 New Member

cool I appretiate the help everyone i will test the ideas tomorrow!

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Another thing to do:

Clean the Bulb Sockets out with Brake Cleaner and wipe the socket clelan with a Q-Tip.

""Dress"" the Bulb Contacts!
    Use an Emery Board.
    Clean, Flatten and Enlarge the Contacts on the Base of the Bulb.

8. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Ya, you have to get to the point where you can have a flashing signal at idle. Since, you're probably be at idle when you use it mostly :)

My bulb connectors were absolutely HORRIBLE when I got my 750, had to rip em apart, and clean all the rust out, and get back to bare metal so they worked properly.

It could be more of a ground issue, than a voltage issue. For sure check everything that everyone has suggested as well tho!

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You have a wiring issue somewhere then. Both of my operational XJs blink just fine with the bike OFF and the key just switched on; and at idle as well, as long as the battery is fully charged. But their wiring harnesses have been gone through; fuseboxes rebuilt; cleaned, and contacts lubed with silicone dielectric grease, etc. so I don't have any excessive "current loss" through the harness.