1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

stolen

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ayudame, Sep 20, 2010.

1. ayudame

ayudame New Member

someone stole my license plate. i dont know any of the local laws about what to do while i fight with the dmv. does this kinda thing happen often?

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I don't know about the whole plate, but out here in SoCal, it's not unheard of to have registration tags swiped off the plate. Happened to me twice. The last time this happened, as I was regaling the lady at the DMV with my tale of woe, she commented that she'd had it happen to her while the car was parked in her driveway.

3. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

I had it happen once. There was no fight with the DMV though. I went in and said it was going and they made my previous number invalid and gave me a new plate. I dont know how it is in NH, but the MVD (yes its different here) game me no trouble.

4. ayudame

ayudame New Member

you think if i made a temporary cardboard plate in the meantime if there is a wait i would all set?

5. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Hope they catch the guy riding around with a stolen plate on his bike.

In Minnesota thats a trip to the jail house & you get to talk to a bunch of friendly officers and the bike goes to impound.

MN

6. clipperskipper

clipperskipper Member

Yes and I have a pair of double ratcheting handcuffs in just the right size.

7. MN-Maxims

For Sure . forgot to mention that part.

MN

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I think you could pull it off in NH, your bike is legal, it's registered, and you got paperwork to prove it. Ride on !

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I got two XJ Yam's -- Color Purple.

When the one that ain't tagged needs exercise ... I borrow the plate from the one that does.
    If I get stopped ... the Planets are all in alignment. Name, Make, Color, MC!

After a marvelous weekend, giving the 900 some exercise ... I pulled into the garage about a whole three seconds before the downpour.
    Instead of taking-off the plate ... I shut the garage. Forgot all about the plate.

Rode the Max for two days with NO Plate before I spied the back-end and said "Oh, crap!"

make a cardboard Plate and have the paperwork in order.
    That ought to do the trick.
    Unless your an old, fat, bald, senior citizen riding an antique ... then, (I guess) you don't need a plate.

10. MN-Maxims

If you were to get pulled over, as long as the tag and the drivers licence matches up I don't think a cop would even look at the vin # to see if it matches up. If your insurance card and all look good I wouldn't think there would be any further checking on the cops part. He will be more interested in handing you a ticket for whatever the reason he stopped you in the first place.
    When I was young and got my share of tickets the cops never looked at the Vin's on anything I was driving at the time.

MN

11. Altus

Altus Active Member

I've had my plate stolen here too -- thieves weren't all that smart - they stole it about 2 weeks before it expired!
    Anyway - went to the MTO, told them what happened, they canceled my old one, I paid my plate replacement fee and got a completely new plate. Was out of there in under an hour.

12. Robert

Robert Active Member

Had my tags stolen twice too. I now cut my tags up with a razor blade and haven't had a repeat yet.

13. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I did the cross-hatching thing after the first time, per the suggestion from the guy at the DMV. They *still* got swiped again.

14. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Maybe Cali needs to borrow AZ's sticker glue. I can't get the damn things off if I try hard. So my jeep's got about 6 stickers stacked up one on top of the other.

15. xjdaver

xjdaver Member

A creative and artistic friend of mine did just that years ago. He was a commercial artist and went out with his color charts to match them to an actual plate and went back to his studio and got busy.

He rode 2 years with those plates until he got caught with hilarious results.

Of course what he did was outright fraudulent. What you propose is only minor rule bending.

16. schooter

schooter Active Member

I got pulled over 4 times in 3 days on my bike, all by different cops, and they all were wondering why I was with yamaha registration and a honda bike, i had to explain, and one didnt believe and i have to take the tank off and let him read the vin

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

No, I think if you immediately go to your DMV (in Michigan it's the Secretary of State) and report it they will probably issue you a new one on the spot and cancel the old one. At least that's what happens here.

The longer you wait the more suspicious they will be of your story. REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY.

How can they tell you're bald if you're wearing a helmet? The old and senior citizen parts are kinda difficult too. Do you simply leave a blinker on forever as a sign?

I only ask because people are often quite surprised when I pull the helmet off and there's all that grey hair. I guess old farts aren't supposed to ride sporty bikes.

18. clipperskipper

clipperskipper Member

Rick has the right idea, you insure the tag and not the vehicle. A Yam is a Yam.

19. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Unfortunately it's not up to Rick. What does the Great State of Massachusetts have to say about it?

You insure the vehicle in Michigan; and even though I could probably get away with it having two 550 Secas (and the color is not on the registration) a sharp-eyed State trooper might spot the mismatched VIN and then what?

I'll bet the insurance and tag is still cheaper than the impound fee and repairing whatever damage the TOW TRUCK visits upon my bike. Been there and it ain't pretty.

20. ayudame

ayudame New Member

i got new ones. still have to report the stolen ones