1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stripped spark threads

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TG2, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Besides fixing the the plug, have you done anything else to your bike? If it was sitting for any length of time, the carbs will have to be gone through. If you have spark, fuel in the bottom of the carb bowls but it is still not running, then the jets and other little spaces and passages in the carbs could be full of old nasty fuel. There is a great thread
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/in-the-church-of-clean.14692/

2. TG2

TG2 New Member

The starter was rebuilt, new starter solenoid, the carbs were cleaned but not rebuilt (could be the problem). There was fuel in the bottom of the carbs, the bike ran for about 25 seconds about 5 or 6 times the other day at about 4000RPMs and as I began to let off the choke it maintained its high idle for an extra couple seconds and then died, the idle screw is about 1 ¼ turns out so I did not think that was the problem. But it has not started since

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not all inline fuel filters are made to work with gravity feed tanks.
    If the filter is for a fuel-pump system it won't flow.
    If the filter is large enough to get a big air bubble trapped in it, it won't flow.

Pick up a small filter with a sintered bronze element.
    @chacal sells them if you can't find one locally.

4. TG2

TG2 New Member

Okay I will order a new petcock, vacuum line, as well as a new inline fuel filter. Is there anything I should try at the moment? I plan on picking up a small crankcase breather filter pod as well

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

One possible item the fuel cap vent could be blocked, pop it open put petcock to PRI and try to start bike , if it will run like this good chance this is problem , you can try a little WD40 in the key hole in the cap .

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

filter could be clogged or as stated by K moe just the wrong kind of filter.

another possibility is the fuel rail is clogged I disassembled a set of 550 carbs and where the tee and connectors insert into the carbs were all clogged solid crud .
    550 tee is in center of banks I use a short tube hook filter to tee and come out the back side of carbs between the air box boots

also the filter wants to be as far away from the petcock as possible or it will fill with air.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Double check to make sure you're small vaccum hose is connected to the small nipple on the the petcock and to the port on one of the intake boots at the manifold.

8. TG2

TG2 New Member

OK so I got a new petcock a new vacuum line and a new fuel filter, unfortunately it still sounds like the bikes not getting any gas so I am unsure if I need a carb rebuild or what. But I am out of ideas. The plugs seem kind of dry as well

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

can we have a photo of your filter setup?

how much gas do you have in the tank?
    with a half gallon will need you to set the petcock to reserve to work.

does sound like a carb problem. when carbs were cleaned were the enrichment wells in the carb bowl cleaned out so the "choke" can draw fuel into the carb?
    you may be able to take a bowl off with your carbs on the motor if you do not have the heat shield in place.

when you pull the carbs off the bike you can see if fuel is in the bowls and not getting to the motor..
    on with JIS screw driver loosen the screws to the carb bowl screws then snug them down
    clamp carbs to bench hook up tank set to prime see if bowls fill.
    shut off fuel remove 1 bowl at a time see if you have fuel in the bowl.

first bowl off will cause the extra fuel in the carb fuel rail to drain have something to catch the fuel.
    ALWAYS have a Fire extinguisher when working with carbs and fuel.
    Always have a fire extinguisher when working on your bike and using flammables.
    and
    Always have a fire extinguisher even if your just sitting with your bike on a cold winter morning drinking coffee watching her sleep under her blanket.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    TG2, Timbox and Jetfixer like this.
  10. TG2

TG2 New Member

Okay so now it runs, but immediately after firing up it shoots up to 4000-6000 RPMs

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

1. Make sure the choke is off
    2. Turn down the ideal screw a bit (anti clockwise) or until to reach a good setting
    3. You could have some vacuum leaks on the boots that connect the carbs to the heads.
    If the boots are in bad shape, you will have vacuum leaks and the RPM's will be all over the place and not level out.

12. TG2

TG2 New Member

The carb boots were replaced the PO and seem to all be in good shape. Choke is off, and idle screw is turned down.

13. TG2

TG2 New Member

Is it possible there’s an air leak somewhere else because when as soon as I hit start it sounds like the bike is almost like puffing out the top of the engine somewhere ?

14. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Are all the vacuum caps on the ports of the intake boots? One may have a line going to the petcock, is that connected or at least capped off?

15. TG2

TG2 New Member

Yeah all the boots have caps and the other goes to the petcock for the vacuum line.

16. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Have you checked for vacuum leaks with something like an unlit propane torch or starter fluid or something?