1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stubborn ignition rotor bolt.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Thrasher, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

Can’t get the ignition rotor bolt off. Tried electric impact, no luck. Tried allen wrench with pry bar, bike in 1st gear brake on and oversize broom stick in between spokes and swing arm. Broke the oversize broom stick. This is not a left handed thread is it?
    I think I will get some help and put a wrench on the flats of the rotor and then try all the above again.

2. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

put a long wrench on the square part and try an impact gun if you have it.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Right hand thread Thrasher. I highly recommend an impact tool or gun. Good luck!

4. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

As I said in my first post, Tried electric impact, no luck. I put a 17mm wrench on the flats of the rotor and then used a long breaker bar with a 6mm allen. Came off with a strong pull.

5. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

I swear by the impact driver ya hit with a hammer. I wish I could find one that only turned counter clockwise. I use it all the time but NEVER tighten with it. probably spent 8 hours of my life to date checking and double checking to make sure it was set to loosen.

6. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

Impact drivers do reverse. There is a collar on them that should rotate to switch direction. In any case, put the driver on the bolt or screw and twist in the desired direction when striking it, it should work.