1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stupid Question...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tripsync, Nov 19, 2010.

1. tripsync

tripsync New Member

I'm going to make a good bet that I'm making this harder than it has to be, but does anyone know how to remove the cover in the picture? I looked on eBay and found the same part which shows a couple of screws under the Yamaha portion, but I don't know how to remove it without scratching the crap out of the cover in the process.

To make a long story short, my wife lost my keys on accident and now I think I have to tear off the ignition switch assembly to get the numbers for a new key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

-tripsync

[​IMG]

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Make yourself a non-marring tool and pop the "Yamaha" portion out.

I have a couple of these tough brown nylon kitchen scraper things about 3" square that I abuse in the garage; or go to the hardware store and get a cheap all plastic putty knife and modify it (if necessary.)

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Whatever you want to believe, brother.

4. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

if the ignition is original. take the registration to dealer. they'll make you a key off the V.I.N.

i don't think the switch has numbers that are useful for making a new key. but you could pop the switch off and take to a locksmith. might be a few bucks more then the dealer method.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The key code numbers are generally located on a sticker on the bottom of the ignition switch assembly. The dealer will give you a blank stare.

6. BillB

BillB Active Member

Im making a copy this afternoon.

Thanks,

7. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I have a total of 3 sets of keys for my ignition, tank&seat lock and all of my touring luggage.

After thinking I lost my only set of luggage keys, I decided to pay a REAL locksmith (didn't have a choice - odd keys) to get a total of 3 sets of all keys :)

I had 2x for motorcycle and 1x for luggage before I thought I lost my keys.

I'm really glad I live in a decent area. I've left my keys in my ignition/luggage several times all day or over night. I plain forgot them while cleaning up after a project. DOH!

8. clipperskipper

clipperskipper Member

A spare set is a great idea, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to hide a key some play on the scooter. I wouldn't place keys in luggage, not with TSA running
    the show.