1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Sync help please

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by st_pinetree, Jun 6, 2010.

1. st_pinetree

st_pinetree New Member

So I rode my bike for the second time today after doing the carb cleanout etc. It ran pretty darn nice yesterday, then when it was warmed up, I did a sync using my home made manometer (two tube type). Today it's racing at idle and not idling down when slowing. It was far better before I screwed with it. I think I had a pretty good bench sync.

I guess my question is, what order do I sync the carbs in when using the tool that only allows you to do two at a time. I started with 3 (baseline since it has no adjustment, correct?) and adjusted 4. This was the only cylinder that was very far off. As I was adjusting it to find the balance point, I had to adjust the idle multiple times as it would race away when closer to balanced. I eventually thought I had it pretty close, and then moved on to 3-2, and then 3-1. Like I said, the other two didn't need much adjustment, but four really seemed to screw with things.

Did I do this right? It's obviously off now, and I'm trying to figure out how to best go about getting it right this time.

2. pauluminous

pauluminous Member

The adj. screw between carb 3 and 2 balances the whole right pair to the left pair, so you need to balance 1&2 together and use the screw between 3&2 to set the right pair to the left pair. So the adjustment screw between 2&3 will move the butterfly of carb 1 AND 2 together and the ones from carb 3 AND 4 together as a pair!
    Did you set your idle rod adjustment when the engine was warmed up?

3. st_pinetree

st_pinetree New Member

Ok, so I balance 1,2 first; then 3,4; then use the screw between 2 and 3 to balance out both sides? for the final does it matter which two cylinders the manometer is hooked up to?

4. st_pinetree

st_pinetree New Member

Thanks. I can sure see now how doing it the way I did screwed it up. Smooth as silk again. Man it doesn't take much of an adjustment on those screws to really change the balance.

5. BillB

BillB Active Member

This makes me sad... I wasted $30 bucks buying a sync tool (four gauges) from JCWhitney.
    The Manometer I built with some instructions from this site did as good a job or better and it was about 6 bucks to build.

6. parts

parts Member

+1 ,tune #1 to #2,. #3 to #4,. #1/2 to #3/4.
    once you get them close use very tiny adjustments on
    the screws,just like the pilots. the width of a dime/nickel
    at a time.