1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

TALES OF THE GHOSTLY GASKET

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 86maximusXJ700, Jan 8, 2011.

1. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

:twisted:

Alright fellas, I got a tricky situation here... In fact, it's become a nightmare, I cannot for the life of me seem to find the PROPER cylinder head gasket for my 86 XJ700 (aircooled, non X) Maxim. The first time I ordered one, from Ebay, i was sent a cylinder head gasket for the X model which is watercooled, a completely different size and fit so that was a bust. Other sources confuse the gasket for the top of the cylinder head with the base gasket which is also different. Chacal seems to be the only one who knows the difference but this particular gasket comes at a hefty $87.95. One might wonder, well why not just get a top end gasket kit? True, they run around the $105-$115 range... But just the luck for the rare XJ700's gasket kits, top end nor complete, exist.. naturally. So I seem to be out of luck here. While doing a bit of visual research on this evasive gasket, I found something quite puzzling in the service manual for the XJ700N... There is NO MENTION of this phantom gasket. Now, hopefully you all can see this phenomena in the picture I've attached. There is a number given to a "gasket" which in this figure is 8, but first of all, WHICH gasket are they talking about, the cylinder base gasket or the cylinder head gasket?? Both are shown in the picture, and here's the baffling part, NEITHER have a number assigned to them. So, in the picture, there is no number 8 on a gasket, but a number 8 gasket is listed... hmmmmmm, could this be why this gasket is often confused and become so hard to find? I just might have to bite the bullet on this "ghostly gasket"...

Attached Files:

2. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

Here's a better view

Attached Files:

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

# 8 gasket is the cylinder base gasket. The head gasket is listed in the cylinder head diagram , part #18. Expensive at 110$ from bikebandit. Chacal can do better.
    http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... #sch221191

I would go ahead and get a complete gasket set if you are removing the cylinder head. There are other gaskets that should be replaced at the same time. It would cost the same as buying just the ones you need, then you will also have the side cover gaskets.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

part # is: 1FG-11181-00-00, it seems to be on back order, best price I can find is $85.29.

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

In this article, if you scroll halfway down, you find some specs

http://www.maxim-x.com/maximxj700_cycle_article.html

that indicate that the 700 was made by de-stroking the 750, and uses the same head and pistons. If true, then why not use a 750 head gasket??
    Are 750 head gaskets cheaper??

When no one was looking, I bought a complete set for $25 off E-Bay.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

All you need to do is get ahold of chacal (XJ4Ever, big logo on the site banner, upper right) give him your "shorty" VIN and he will get you the right gasket and it won't cost an arm and a leg. YES, it might be more than eBay but it will be the correct one. I say that with certainty because if it's not right, he'll make it right.

eBay is a great source of parts like gas tanks, side covers, big things like that. But for small parts, "consummables" gaskets and such, YOU have to know exactly what you're looking at. Most eBay sellers don't have a clue; I've seen the damndest mis-listings from people who claim to be experts. (Which you can often use to your advantage if you know what it really is and they don't.) But don't expect them to be knowledgeable.