1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Temperature sensor.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xj750tjr, May 15, 2006.

1. xj750tjr

xj750tjr New Member

I have an 85 maxim-x and it runs just great. The temperature gauge does not read correctly, and it has been 95% diagnosed as a faulty sensor. Yamaha here in Canada want $50 to order a new one. Does anybody know if a Napa, Lordco, (Canadian Tire) or a car type sensor can be used in place?

Thanks

2. jimw

jimw Member

I have an 83 Maxim that runs just great, but never had a temperature sensor.
    So now feel like I need one - thanks a lot eh? :lol:
    How do they work, are they a ring around the spark plug? If so, maybe one for a VW Beetle would do it.
    Jim

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

The VW ring will work provided you use it along with the gauge it was designed to work with. Last time I checked, VDO was charging around $50-70 for the gauge. Good investment but I'm unsure of what piece of mind it will bring you. Are you having spark plug heat range issues? Good luck to you and let us see the finished mod, eh?

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Oh boy, I didn't see xj750tjr's original post, I though I was responding to jimw's. My bad. I would be very tempted to say you could source the sender from another place but $50 sounds about right for the correct sender. VDO charges about $45 for the one I use. If you know the range (I'm assuming a resistance range here) of the old sensor, you might get lucky down at the wrecker's and pull something off a Japanese import. Have you cleaned up your old sensor? Where is it reading from (coolant temp, oil temp)? I'm not an X type guy so pardon my ignorance. I've had bad readings from sensors due to corrosion. I simply clean them off with a wire wheel and slap them back in. Works 90% of the time.

5. xj750tjr

xj750tjr New Member

OK, I'll remove the sensor and clear it up first and see if there are some numbers or spec's stamped on it. Also when its out I can test it in some hot water and watch the resistence range if it still works.
    I guess $50 is ok for the original, but just spent money on tires, insurance, fork seals etc.

Thanks again
    TJR