1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

thanks to all, finally got her running

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by zacthepain, Jul 5, 2010.

1. zacthepain

zacthepain New Member

Just wanted to take some time to thank everyone on this board for their invaluable help in bringing back to life an 81 maxim 650 my son and I picked up a few months ago for $500.
    The bike was in fair shape, the only problem was a broken exhaust stud, which turned out to be a major deal...we had to take the head out and get it drilled out at a machine shop. After putting it all back together, we had failed to take all the slack out of the timing chain, which caused the cam sprokets to break, bend a valve, etc...lots of fun..we ended up buying a rebuilt head for cheap on ebay.
    This weekend we spent cleaning the carbs, replacing plugs, fine tuning the idle and finally got her running real nice. And, for the first time in 40 years, I got to ride a motorcycle! yep this is our first bike ever. Wow what a rush!!!
    The bike still needs a few things, mainly the rear brakes checked and a couple minor cosmetics. All fluids have been changed. Now I'm thinking about getting another one so we can both go on rides, heck at this price, its some major bang for the buck.
    Heres a pick of the bike with my youngest on it.

Attached Files: