1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The Great Oil Debate: Some New Data?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by fintip, Oct 13, 2012.

1. fintip

fintip Member

--http://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

--http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

There is no "debate." The question is NOT whether or not motorcycle-specific oils "offer superior lubrication compared to automotive oils, etc., etc."

What we KNOW, through real-world experience, is that in our particular flavor of 30-year old bikes there are components that don't perform well when using modern automotive oils. Those items being the starter sprag clutch and the multiplate wet clutch.

It has nothing to do with viscosity breakdown, etc. It has to do with whether or not you want your starter clutch to engage reliably.

3. hbwb

hbwb Member

I use diesel specific oil like rotella.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

What's the API grade on Rotella, out of curiousity?

I just noticed something else about the article.

It's dated. It's speaking in terms of API Service SG automotive oils; most JASO-spec motorcycle oil IS SG. Automotive oil these days is up to API spec SM or beyond; (the problem stuff.) I used Castrol GTX "just OIL" myself for somewhere around 30 years in my Norton, and it didn't need to be motorcycle oil. Then things changed (after the article was written, apparently.)

Sorry, fintip, it doesn't even apply to our present-day situation.

5. hbwb

hbwb Member

Not sure but it is recommended by many for these older bikes because of its zinc content. They say these tappet camshafts need the extra lubricating properties of zinc which has been phased out of a lot of automotive oils.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

mobil delvac 1300, API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL.
    Caterpillar ECF-3
    Cummins CES 20081
    works good in my lawn mower too :)

7. ski84

ski84 Member

Rotella T 15W40 has an API rating of SM but more importantly it meets the Japanese spec for wet clutches JASO MA. I have been using it in my FZ and it is excellent oil. I recently had my Rotella oil analyzed by Blackstone labs for my FZ and at 4000 miles it still had less wear than a typical oil at 2600 miles. They even said that I could up my service interval to 5000 miles should I choose to. When I use up my Castrol 4T stash I am going to switch over to it in my XJ...

8. fintip

fintip Member

You're right, fitz. I didn't realize oil grades changed so often, but I did know the article was dated. I just figured it didn't matter.

Turns out all three modern automotive grade oils are classed as "Energy Conserving", which are exactly what one of the articles above says to avoid in motorcycles, actually.

(I tried Rotella, by the way, and felt a performance loss and some strange iffyness in my last FJ compared to valvoline 20-50 motorcycle oil, so next time I used a mix. Didn't have the bike long enough after that to verify it was the oil, unfortunately.)

9. Super

I've been using Rotella 15w-40 (during the summer) in everything for years, with no issues. 83 900, 77 GL1000, a Subaru, several Jags; my Elantra has over 200k, I buy it by the bucket when it goes on sale at Walmart or CTC and have had zero issues. I use whatever is on sale in a 5w30 grade during the winter in the winter driven vehicles.

Almost 40 years of driving countless types of vehicles, I've never experienced any type of engine failure using regular oil changed on a regular basis.

Dave

10. happydog500

happydog500 Member

One thing you have to take into account is that oil changed in about 2000-2002.
    It's not the same anymore. It may of been OK to use certain type back when this artical was written, but the oil changed since then.

Chris.