1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

the point of no return

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 16ozbud, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

I finally got tired of looking at my unfinished uninspired project, an XJ 550 bobber with hard struts. Not really digging the rear end or the hard strut mentality, I decided to go for it. Cut the rear off. Now I have to get off my couch and work on it if I ever want to ride again. Took off the swingarm and added 5 inches to it. Replaced swing arm. Cut the whole 3 tube/one tube backbone abhoration that comes from Yami. Plan to extend the single 1.25" backbone further. Then weld 1" tube from backbone to axleplate while swing arm is still in place. A coulple of cross braces and gussets and then cut the swingarm off from the axle plate and remove it. Got some angle finders and levels to use along the way so I go down the road semi straight. I took the bike to a friend's shop to get serious with it. Up until then I had done everything out in my yard since I don't have a shop or garage. Working in the yard with an AD/HD 8 year old boy who wants to help and an equally hyperactive dog that wants to play featch all day is not conducive to good working results. The change of scenery should move the project along quickly. Anyways, here's a couple of pics for progress/regress' sakes.

Attached Files:

2. sgary

sgary Member

Do you have pix of the swingarm? I want to do the same to my 550.

3. CdnXJRider

CdnXJRider New Member

WOW!! That is courageous to cut up your bike like that. I personaly would love to take on similar projects but lack the confidence in my skills and fear that I would never be able to ride the bike afterward.

Looking forward to seeing this project completed. Please keep us posted.

OH and most importantly: good luck with your major project.

4. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

So I got a little more work done. The weather was bad. Rained most of the day. As luck would have it, about the time the rain stopped, the power went out. Seemed like a good time to stop and head to the local watering hole. I got my backbone extended and top frame rails tied into the axle plate. I got a little more to tie in around the mid section before i can cut the smaller outside sections of the backbone and swingarm. As for the swingarm, sgary, I didn't take pics, but I can. I didn't weld it up to hold up to riding, just to hold the back wheel in place. So , it may not be what you're looking for.

Attached Files:

5. wizard

wizard Active Member

Are you going to increase the fork angle?

6. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Wizard, I'd like to put a little more rake in it, but don't think I'm going to tackle that one just yet. One day I'd like to put a springer out front. May try to rake it then. From an asthetics stand point, the front tire does need to be kicked out a bit. From a handling/trail type thing, I don't know.
    I've seen mathematical formulas and all that jazz on trial. But I HATE math. Just not sure if extending the swingarm without altering rake affected it. So, I guess the big question is, "Do I need to increase the fork angle?"

7. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

I like the way it looks as-is. It has that tough English bulldog look. Kinda tough and stubby.

8. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

I like where this build is going! 8)

9. danno

danno Member

X2...looking good!

10. danno

danno Member

Just noticed the pegs. Very cool! Where can I find a set?

11. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

danno, I made those from some double link chain I "acquired"-welded on the bottom. They may not make it through the final build. Was thinking about some forward controls, maybe some round stock with spent shotgun shell casings for cosmetic porpuses. If I decide to go in that direction, I'll let you have first crack at them. Spring loaded, just like factory.

12. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Yup, I agree about the solid struts on the rear ( not even good for my back) I went with cutting the shocks instead (much nicer ride for sure)
    You have the right idea extending the frame. It should help the ride somewhat with a longer wheelbase. It looks good so far! You'll probably have to go with forward controls anyway, because being you dropped the seat down, you'll be eating your knees when you ride. Forward controls are so much more comfortable anyways and fun to build. That should be one great bobber when your finished. Keep us posted!

13. wizard

wizard Active Member

Hi Bud, how are you going to configure your pipes? you don't have much freeboard there.

14. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Got a little more done yesterday. Tied in some more support. Cut some stuff out. I'm really liking the nice straight line from neck to rear axle. I thought 5 inches of stretch may have been too much. But after looking at it now, I think it was the right amount. Painter, you got some pics of your forwards? I'd like to see what you did. Wizard, I really won't know until I do it. I kinda want 2 into 1 on each side with a turn down. Prolly open pipes, so I want them as far back as possible. If I go with forward controls I was thinking about raising them (pipes, not controls) up a little from stock location. Maybe make some nice heat shields out of some 16 oz aluminum bottles. I also have some header wrap that I could wrap the pipes in. I'll just have to wait and see how it starts to take shape once I get started. Things seem to have a way of taking a different direction from what was originally planned. Anyway, I got a couple more pics showing the lines of the bike. Doesn't look like I got much done, but I stayed busy. So, I guess that's a good thing.

Attached Files:

15. yamaha4life

yamaha4life Member

that thing is going to look sweet only thing i would change if it were me is the flat front tire doesn't go with the bikes lines i would do one with air in it would really complete the bike :lol: keep up the good work

16. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

I was really getting into the flat tire. Matches the lines on the bike. Besides, it's only flat on bottom.
    I"m going to get back on the build hot and heavy this week end. Hope to have some more pics up then. Thanks to all who have left kind words and compliments And I'm always open to suggestion. So let me know what you think could be done different or better.

17. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

With the stresses that the Trailing Arm will be enduring ... I think thee needs to be "Something" added in-between the Upper Trail and Lower Trail to keep them both reinforced.
    A Solid piece "Gusset" with a design cut in it.
    Something.
    I don't know what I'd do. But, I would do it.

18. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Rick, my plan is to put in some bottom rails and cut the swing arm completely out. I'm having trouble getting my hands on a tubing bender. I used a rosebud on a torch rig to get the bends in the top rails. But the bottom rails are going to be too sharp of an angle to heat and bend. I know a guy that has a bender, but our schedules just haven't allowed me to get it yet. In the meantime, I've been fabbing breackets for the seat, fender, tank, etc. I really don't want to start stripping it down until I can get the frame tied in completely. So I'm doing what I can while I can. Yeah, I definitely plan to add more support and a few gussets here and there. Thanks for looking out for me.

19. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Just got finished with another day on the bike build. Managed to get the tank mounted. Also got the seat in place and bungs welded. Made a sissy bar out of rebar for the reat fender mount. So I got the tank supports, the seat brackets and mounting for the rear fender finished. The main thing I must get done are the bottom rails. I should have them bent and installed tomorrow. After that I need to build a false oil tank to house the battery and electronics, fab up a headlight and brake light support. And I need to find a way to ge tthe passenger pad on the fender in such a fashion that I can put it on and take it off as needed. Was thinking studs and acorn nuts. Anybody got any better suggestions? Anyways, here's a pic of the bike with tank seat sissy bar and fender mounted. Ilike the way the bottom of the tank matches the lines of the backbone, but it's on one steep angle. No way I can get all the fuel in it as it sits. Was thinking about making the tunnel deeper in the front so it sits a little more level. What do you think?

Attached Files:

20. turtlemann14

turtlemann14 Member

will he still be able to use the center stand one the tire is inflated?