1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The Redback Bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Jeff Roberts, May 5, 2016.

1. Jeff Roberts

Jeff Roberts New Member

Hi
    Thought I might ask for some good advice from you all.
    I recently bought a 1982 XJ550 that was found in a barn and hasn't moved since 2001. I have stripped it down to see where I want to lose parts etc and am now trying to get the engine to fire up. It turns over and smells like it's getting fuel to the carbs, but the spark is very week. I am yet to check the earths around the coils, and replace the lead caps, but was wondering if there is anything I should be looking at that I might not have thought of (like the reg/rec).
    I have had to concentrate on electrics because a lot was missing, or just plain old, so am also trying to fix those issues as I think about the factors of air/spark/fuel/compression. the compression seems ok but am yet to by myself a tool to check it.
    I did try and empty the bowls on the carbs but it has sat so long that the are near impossible to turn the two valves on the inner carbs. I am trying to avoid a full carb rebuild until I see it fire, so was wondering if there are any tricks you could let me in on before I get to that point.
    Cheers in advance

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

first you need tho remove and clean the carbs
    ohm out the ignition system to see if it is good that includes the coils

battery needs to be fully charged if it drops below 9.5 volts when cranking bike will not start
    spray starter fluid into it if you just want to hear it fire
    check your inbox

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member