1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The Seca's up for grabs!

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Chared03HD, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

It's come time to part with the mighty 1981 Seca 750. I had fixed it up in the hopes the wife would want to learn to ride, which she does, but this isn't the cycle for her. It's seat height is too tall and it may be a bit more bike than she should begin on.
    I've posted it on Craigs list http://fargo.craigslist.org/mcy/382331178.html and parked it on a heavily trafficed street at a relatives place. I've had about 5 calls on it so far, but half of them are looking for something for nothing!! Small RANT: Last night a guy called on it, I told him all about it (asking $1250 - for Cycle, parts cycle, cover, misc parts, Service manual, 2 matching helmets), he told me it was a nice clean looking bike and then offered me 900 for the works..... auh....No, but I'll take $1100! Oh that will take me a month to save up for.... :roll: Sorry for that.... Figured I'd post it here too....

2. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

Not being sexist, but mearly my observation..... Why when females call regarding the cycle do they ask why I'm including the parts bike in the sale...... to me it's a dah.... bonus!! My logic... aging cycle, hard to find parts, why wouldn't you want a parts bike????!!!!!!

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Hold your ground for the price you want.

If I had the money and you were closer ... I'd scoop-up that deal for what you are asking and not bat an eye!

If someone offers you less, again ... tell them you are keeping the parts bike. cover and the rear wheel off the runner!!!

4. babaloo01

babaloo01 Member

I'd about KILL for a parts bike to go along with the running one! Seems like a very reasonable price to me. To bad you're not closer and I'm not rich!

5. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

I'm always amazed at how a bike that offers so much, is worth so little (dollar wise). I understand that they're older bikes, but while cars of similar vintage climb skyward, our old xj's are comparitively worthless. Like Rick said, hold your ground. Where else are you going to get a bike like that for that cheap?
    I recently saw on eBay, OLD Honda CT70 mini bikes going for similar prices to our XJ's. (I had one years back, and trust me they got nothin' on a Maxim or Seca, lol).
    Even my 1st car ('73 Camaro) is worth $ nowadays. I couldnt give the damn thing away when I got rid of it around 1987 or so.

6. kontiki

kontiki Member

That's a nice bike. Hold your price unless you are desperate. Given sufficient time people will look around and see that it is worth what you are asking.

7. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

Thanks guys.... I'm starting @ $1250, but I'd settle for $1100.00.... afterall I only have about $300-350 into the entire project.....?!?!

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sorry mate, MN is just to far away for me to seriously consider it. Best of luck on the sale!

9. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

I've just started asking "$1100 FIRM for ALL!!" I'm tired of "tire kickers" already... or "I'll tell my husband...'s" I've been offered $900 twice now and that just feels like a blow to the jews!! Maybe i should just sell The running cycle for that and part out the parts bike on ebay..... I'd probably make more that way!!

10. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

without a doubt you'll make more selling the parts on eBay than you will selling it with the running bike.

11. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

Many lookers, non of which seem to be serious.... I hate selling things!! What's holding up my sale? Do people not want a parts bike, cover & manual? I just may start asking $1000 firm for the good cycle (only downfall is it needs fork seals-local shop $105 total) and $1100 for the whole works?!?!?

12. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

you deliver to Pittsburgh?

:D

13. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

LOL, Sorry no.... maybe i should just drag it home and put it back in the garage to ride on occation & hold my unused dust!!

14. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

awww, come on...what's 1053.2 miles?

I would just hold on to it and part out the other one if you don't get any serious lookers in the next month or so.

15. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

PghXJ,

So delivery @ $0.43 a mile (going rate) both ways...... how's $905.75 (+ Cycles @ $1100.00) Delivered to your door sound??? LOL ;-) Heck I'll even knock off the $5.75 and call it an even $2000.00!!

Yah, I'm in no hurry... i just hate people looking for 'something for nothing' and wasting my time.... no seems to want to know about the bike, just "How Much You Asking"! I'm holding firm on those prices.... if they don't like it.... take a hike!

EDIT: Just for kicks and giggle I figured out the mileage factor... 1053miles x 2 = 2106miles / 14mpg = 150gallons x Average $3.00per gallon = $451.29 - $905.75 (mileage surcharge) = $454.46 proffit.....not bad & I can call it a "Family Vacation" LOL!!!!

16. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

but now that you shared your profit margin with me, I can low ball you. :D

17. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

Sorry...... Motel rooms & Meals @ Mucho $$$.... I'd still lose money on the deal LOL!!

18. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

that's alright. The fiance would kill me if I spent over 1G just before our wedding. :lol:

19. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

I know how that goes.... I was just joking anyhow!!

20. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

yeah.... oh well. I would love to have a 750 seca though...