1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Throttle cable not fitting

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by splazoid, Mar 18, 2012.

1. splazoid

splazoid Member

1) What did I do wrong this time?

Getting my carbs back on the bike. I put the throttle cable on the throttle shaft between carbs 2 and 3, but the cable shielding will not make it to the bracket on the top of carb 2 that holds the cable in place. The black shielding seems to be a full inch short of where I would need it to be, and that's with the throttle shaft on the carbs at full open. Stock throttle cable.

2)Once I get the cable on the carbs again, with my freshly set float heights, what steps in what order do I take for tuning?
    Running vacuum sync with blocked yics, then colortune, then repeat?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

1: You forgot the stub cable; see pic below. It's that little cable, about 3" long, that connects the throttle quadrant to the main throttle cable. It either fell off somewhere in the process or you have it trapped under the rack.

2: Yep, them's the ones.

STUB CABLE; attached to quadrant. Throttle cable attaches to it.

[​IMG]

3. splazoid

splazoid Member

You are correct yet again kind sir, and I am ever the fool - forgot it entirely.

Am I correct on the order of tuning tasks?

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And how did I know it was the stub cable? Because virtually very owner of a 550 has done that at least once... don't feel foolish.