1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Throttle Pull: Ok, I have to ask.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by day7a1, Mar 12, 2010.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Background: This is my first motorcycle. The throttle does not seem to stick, meaning that it always and quickly returns to the idle position whenever I let go of the throttle from any position. However, I feel that the effort needed to apply throttle is excessive, both in terms of personal comfort, and especially in comparison to my shipmate's brand new Harley. When riding 10 minutes to and from work, I find myself having to readjust my right hand grip at least once or twice for comfort. Also, I find it hard to manage the engine speed upon starting from a stopped position. Maybe it's just experience, but I feel if I had more throttle control my take offs would be much smoother. Other than a known problem with a break on the throttle sleeve, the throttle does seem smooth. I did a half ass job of oiling it with machine oil, but it seemed to make no difference either immediately or since.

Question: I love my bike, but how hard should the throttle be to twist? I only see questions about problems with returning cables, is this a unique problem? I know WD40 isn't a permanent solution, but I was thinking about pushing it through the cable to see how it felt, and then if that worked spending the money on contact cleaner and some kind of specific cable lube. How does that sound as a first troubleshooting step? I don't even know what it's SUPPOSED to feel like!!

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it's kind of a pain but if you were to take the cable off at the carbs you would know if it's the cable and the carbs have their own springs and unless someone put a extra spring on....... thats the way it is i guess

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The springs are pretty stout.

Remember that Harley only has one carburetor, or may even be fuel injected. You're pulling the springs on 4 carbs.

Grips make a lot of difference too. One that is smaller or slipperier requires a lot more squeeze from the fingers.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I'm old.
    And, I have arthritis.
    I ain't fighting the Springs on the Carbs and having to keep a tight grip on the Throttle Grip all day long.
    No way.
    That ain't no way to ride. After an hour or so; your hand hurts!

Modify!

First, ...
    Add one of these:

NEP "Cruise Control"
    http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/NEPC.html

When you get the Cruise Control, ... Modify it.
    Remove the Allen "Set Screw" ...
    Replace it with a Stainless Steel Cap Screw.
    Having a Cap Screw instead of a Set Screw allows you to ADJUST the TENSION ... on the fly!
    (Wrap the Cap Screw with Teflon Thread Tape to give it some snugness so it don't vibrate out.)

Put the Cruise Lever Throttle Lock on and "Fine Tune" the Tension to NOT LOCK the Throttles ... But, provide RESISTANCE against the Return Springs.
    You can still operate the Throttles. But you don't have to HOLD them open.

Buy a Box of "Foam Rubber Crutch Grips"
    Slide the pair on a Broom stick,
    Make a Perfectly Clean and Neat Cut along the mold line to Split the Grips open.

Measure the Outside Diameter of your Throttle Grip.
    Create a Gig of the Measured Diameter by wrapping Newspaper around the Broom stick handle until the Diameter matched the Throttle Grip.

Take Grip #-1 and install it on the papered broom handle.
    Use Masking tape to hold the Split-open Foam Grip in Place.
    Install Grip #-2 along side #1.
    Match-up the OPEN END on the Mold Mark to the 2nd Grips
    Mold Mark.
    MARK the AREA of 2 that needs to be removed to FILL 1.
    Match the Bias for the cut.

Cut the Section of 2 you need to FILL 1.
    EPOXY the two sections together at the Mold Line Cut.
    Let cure.
    Remove from Broom stick and trim-off stuck paper.

Mix Fresh Epoxy.
    Smear a light coat on the Inside of the Grip and Open Splice.
    Mount on Throttle Grip.
    Seal and align seams.
    Wrap on Throttle Grip using Waxed Dental Floss.
    Make it PRETTY!

NOW, ...

You'll have the Springs beat with the Thottle Lock and an OVERSIZED Grip that, ...

Could NOT be more comfortable.
    [​IMG]

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My twin Amal Norton has a stiffer pull than my XJs.

I would recommend you remove your fuel tank, and check the cable routing, there should be no tight bends; lube the cable with something OTHER than WD40 or replace it.

You could also pop the RH control pod apart, and clean/lube the parts that rub against each other, the inside of the throttle drum and the handlebar.

Check the throttle mechanism at the carbs for binding.

6. LeSkid

LeSkid Member

what Fitz said

Also another couple of options:
    1- I'm new to the XJ Forum but on the FJR forum, many members simply un-wind the main throttle return spring one 'wind' by letting it slip one revolution. There are 4....

2- Many many people on that forum swear by Cramp Busters. Look at the pics - self explanatory.

http://www.crampbuster.com/

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

+1 on the cruise control. I've used the NEP cruise lock on all my bikes in recent years and found them to be oneof the best addons I could do. It's just so much nice to be able to lock it in place on long rides, and it's adjustable when it's locked in place when it's adjusted right.
    The last couple of group rides we were on, I noticed alot of them couldn't maintain a constant speed, and in a group ride, it's annoying and even dangerous in some instances. When I introduced them to my throttle lock, we all ended up stopping at a Yamaha dealer and everyone bought one and installed it right there on the spot. I wouldn't ride without one on any bike.

8. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Thanks everyone! I think I will wait for the new clutch and new throttle sleeve before I worry about the pull. It is hard, but I no longer think it is abnormal. No sense in modifying until the basics work right.

9. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

If by "throttle sleeve" you are speaking about the part that goes over the handlebars allowing the grip to twist, I would also suggest a new throttle cable too.
    They are only about $7 and if the old one was to break....well it could be a very bad day. It made an amazing amount of difference on mine and I didn't even think there was a problem.

10. day7a1

day7a1 Member

UPDATE: I found some XJ550 grips on ebay for $0.99. Can't beat the price and they came with the throttle sleeve.

I immediately noticed they were MUCH thicker than the old ones, but still not to thick to interfere with the clutch. After getting them installed, not only was the throttle smoother, but it was much easier to turn.

I don't know if mine were the original grips, but I must say even a little more thickness and smoothness helped with my control of the throttle tremendously.