1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Throttle tube and cable - Aftermarket.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by CaptHeavy, May 2, 2016.

1. CaptHeavy

CaptHeavy Member

hey guys I'm finally buttoning up my build and need a new throttle cable and throttle tube but don't know where to begin looking.

I've already ordered a throttle tube on eBay a while ago in anticipation of finishing the build up but... I can't figure out what fittings are needed to make this thing work. Pretty sure this is for a completely different style bike as there's no way to connect the cable to the tube assembly.

Any help would be appreciated (already tore off the stock tube and the big box with the starter and kill switch as those will both be remote mounted) looking to have as clean an install as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: in case it matters it's an xj750

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. CaptHeavy

CaptHeavy Member

Thanks!! Now, what cable do I get or does this work with the stock cables?

4. XJ550H

thats the style you want maybe not that one I showed you
    are the handle bars stock?

5. XJ550H

from www.xj4ever.com
    it depends on model and handle bar mods
    HCP2694 OEM original THROTTLE CABLE, with black curved plastic tube, adjuster nut, and thumb-wheel on the throttle end of the cable, for all XJ700-X and XJ750-X models. Wire length = 40".
    $ 36.95

HCP2651 Aftermarket THROTTLE CABLE, with bright plated curved metal tube, adjuster nut, and thumb-wheel on the throttle end of the cable, curved tube on carb end; for all FJ600, XJ700-X, and XJ750-X models. Wire length = 39".
    $ 29.95

HCP2695 OEM original THROTTLE CABLE, with black curved plastic tube, adjuster nut, and thumb-wheel on the throttle end of the cable, for all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models. Wire length = 41".
    $ 42.95

HCP2656 Aftermarket THROTTLE CABLE, with bright plated curved metal tube, adjuster nut, and thumb-wheel on the throttle end of the cable, for all XJ750 Maxim and 750 Midnight Maxim models. Wire length = 41".
    $ 32.95

HCP2696 OEM original THROTTLE CABLE, with black curved plastic tube, adjuster nut, and thumb-wheel on the throttle end of the cable, for all XJ750 Seca models. Wire length = 40".
    $ 42.95

HCP2655 Aftermarket THROTTLE CABLE, with bright plated curved metal tube, adjuster nut, and thumb-wheel on the throttle end of the cable, for all XJ750 Seca models. Wire length = 39-1/2".
    $ 32.95

Stumplifter likes this.
  6. CaptHeavy

CaptHeavy Member

The handlebars are straight bars. Something like drag bars but zero bends in them. They're low. Stock carbs. All the info you posted may as well be in German.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

8. XJ550H

the info lists stock lengths
    seca or maxim xj750?
    do you have the original cable many bike shops can custom make cables.

from www.xj4ever.com
    http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xj-parts-catalog-section-m-control-cable-and-hand-levers.44633/

INTERCHANGE: most throttle cables (except XJ700 cables) will interchange with each other, as they mainly differ in their overall wire and sheathing length. When swapping handlebars, you may find the need to use a shorter or longer cable than original. The XJ650RJ Seca, XJ750 Seca, and XJ1100 cables have a narrower cable end barrel (1/4" wide vs. 5/16" wide for all other cables) which may present an issue on some interchanges. Additionally, all of the XJ550 model cables and all of the XJ650 model cables (except Turbo) use a bent metal tube end at the throttle; while all other models use a plastic tube with a thumb-screw adjuster.

Stumplifter likes this.
  9. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

Flanders is AWESOME. I learned to make cables years ago from an older guy that had a whole stock of Flanders goodies, including their solder pot. One day when I have extra cash to blow, I am going to similarly stock up on the parts and tools. Nothing better than the feeling of not losing riding time because you were waiting on a cable to arrive, when you can just make a new one yourself!

10. XJ550H

here is a link for you
    http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=102449

DrewUth likes this.