1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

TID14-35 for XJ700X 1985

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by graniteyamaha, Mar 6, 2011.

1. graniteyamaha

graniteyamaha New Member

My 1985 XJ700X stopped running a few weeks ago it seems to be the same problem I had last August. I went step by step through repair manual all parts of the ignition system where within specification. I found a used TCI installed it and the motorcycle started on the first press of the button and ran perfectly for 2000 miles. Now I am having the same problems that lead me to buy the used TCI.

Without going through all the ignition system tests again, maybe that is not the best idea, I am guessing it is the TCI. The tests I did were:
    -checked spark on all four very weak
    -fully charged battery

I read, either on this site or on the XJ Mail List, that somebody rebuilds TCI's. If somebody can help or knows where I should look please let me know.

2. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Something else to check. Make sure all your connections are not corroded sometimes they also have a ground problem you can run a wire from the motor use a scotchlock and splice it into the ground that goes into the tci. Viragos have a lot of ground problems to the tci and the x is based off the same chassis design as it. Not saying it isn't the tci but if your getting a weak spark sounds like a ground or connection problem good luck

3. graniteyamaha

graniteyamaha New Member

Thanks for the reply.

To make sure I understand.

1 - Find a good ground on the bike (use ohm meter to make sure).
    2 - Get a Scotchlock (these put small hole in insulation to complete circuit)
    3 - Attach Scotch Lock to TCI Ground
    4 - Attach other wire to good ground found in step one

If it works does this become a permanent “patch” on the bike?

Thank You,
    Jim

4. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

yes that way you know you have a good ground.