1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Timing Check

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by day7a1, Mar 9, 2010.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

The Haynes manual recommends a timing check, but doesn't say that there is anything you can do if it is off. As it is a PIA without the right tool and there isn't anything I can do about it anyway, what priority is the timing check?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Low as in LOW as in really low. It's kinda um, er---... fixed. Either it's right or you have some horrible problem. I never really thought to check it on my XJs, the Norton is different because it has two sets of points and a mechanical advance.

No special tool, use a good ol' automotive timing light (the kind that clamps over a plug wire) and an external battery so the charging circuit doesn't screw with the light.

Now I'm gonna hafta check the next time I have an ignition cover off, just for gits and shiggles.

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

It's completely useless. Put your time elsewhere.

I work with a lot of service manuals (usually Clymer). It's clear that they start with a copy of another manual then edit it for anything specific to the model the manual addresses. That causes things like passages about checking spoke tension when the motorcycle has alloy wheels.

The Haynes manual is probably descended from one for a motorcycle with breaker point ignition.

4. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Thanks Fitz! That's what I thought but I couldn't confirm it anywhere. I'll be buying the XJCD asap so I can get more info than just what is in the Haynes manual. I already brought it up from barely running to a reliable daily driver, now I need $, not ideas. Never mind what anybody says, good ideas are much harder to find than money.

That XJ is just so fun to work on!

5. bigfitz52

Both Haynes and Clymer think the EGA ports on the exhaust pipes are drain plugs. They don't realize they go all the way thru...

6. bigfitz52

They really are.

These are about the last of the truly "old school" bikes, with components you can actually disassemble. You can take the switch clusters apart, they have screws, not one-time plastic barbs holding them together. You can rebuild the vacuum fuel valve, rather than replace it if you want. Brake calipers and master cylinders are caveman-easy (oops!) 8O With the possible exception of the carbs, they're relatively simple. They really were well made and made to be serviced, something that is indeed rare these days.

Enjoy. I sure as heck do.