1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tips for getting carbs back in?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Datt Mtn, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Datt Mtn

Datt Mtn New Member

Looking for any tips and tricks that you guys use to get the carbs back into the bike. I have the carbs out and cleaned and will be putting them back on after I get the block-to-boot gaskets from XJ4ever. I had to remove these boots to get the carbs out and it was still a PITA. I am thinking of putting the block side boots on first, then slide the carbs in, then pull the airbox side boots through the airbox towards the carbs. Has anyone had any success with this? Any other tips to make it a bit easier?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

roll the carbs into the manifold boots use a little sil grease on the boots and carbs i start from the right side insert carb 4 and roll into the rest.
    not much room in the airbox. get a dowel to help push the boots. heat them in hot water and have a hairdrier to rewarm them. leave boot in water untill you install it

3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Datt, your planned scenario is the right order to do it.
    Try XJ550's suggestion, I do an improvised version. +1 on silicone grease.

Line them up with the boots (engine side) get the bottom of all four carbs hanging on the lip and roll the rack up and forward, then whilst holding it firmly aligned, grab your wood dowel/ hammer handle and find a spot where you won't do damage and pry with just enough pressure to push the carbs in. Often times this results with the right side slipping in place first and then work over to the left side.

Very helpful to grunt, mutter indecipherable expletives and periodically tilt you head back and howl.

quebecois59 likes this.
  4. Datt Mtn

Datt Mtn New Member

Got them back in and got to ride! It was wayy easier getting them back in than ripping them out. Probably because I thought about it instead of going at it. Steps were as follows.
    1. But new gaskets on Carb-to-block boots
    2. Lockthread the bolts
    3. Put boots onto block, START with cylinders 2&3 then 1&4 easier to access the inside ones without the other in the way
    4. Use a dry grease on the carb side of the boots to slide it in, don't go in dry (I used bicycle chain lube White Lightning because that was the only dry lube I had, worked a wonder)
    5. Slide the carbs in to line up all four (make sure throttle linkage is placed correctly, PITA to move later)
    6. Pick an end 1 or 4 and slide it in
    7. Wiggle and push till all four are in
    8. Easy bake oven your airbox boots to make them pliable (and take the clamps off!) shove them in the airbox and then get properly seated on carbs
    9. Mine were definitely shrunk, so instead of having them fully seated in the deeper airbox side channel I opted to have the carb side properly clamped. (Airbox side had the slightly shallower seating)
    10. Clamps on
    I thought about every step of the process for nights before going at it, waking in cold sweats, I was dreading this job but ended up way easier than expected.

Stumplifter likes this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

did you torque the or just locktite screws for carb joints??
    upload_2016-4-11_13-6-55.png
    upload_2016-4-11_13-6-16.png

air boots in very hot water. leave them in water until you install
    boot up carb 2 then 1 go to other side of bike do 3 then 4